cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
illmatic
Helper IV
Helper IV

Search Dropdown - dynamically select

I feel like this is a stupid question, so apologies off the bat, but I'm unsure if I'm missing something obvious with a dropdown field that is synced to a field in a SharePoint list.

I have created a dropdown in PowerApps, and made a Data Connection to a SP list column which the dropdown field gets its Items from.  I have 'Allow Search' activated on the field.   

When users input data it filters accordingly, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make the field autoselect the first option that displays based on the users input.  Additionally, if the user inputs text that is not an available option for this field, is there a way to prevent the field from submitting?  Some kind of validation?

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@illmatic 

So, you are describing a Combobox and not a Dropdown as dropdowns do not have Search capabilities.

Can you describe more about what you mean by - "make the field autoselect the first option that displays based on the users input"?

And when you say "the user inputs text that is not an available option for this field, is there a way to prevent the field from submitting" - I assume you mean the user typing into your Combobox a search value.  If that is the case, the search text is not a selected Item.  So, if your form is using the Selected or SelectedItems from the combobox, then it will not include the typed text.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Hi @RandyHayes ,

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Here's an image of what I mean here:  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/Searchable-Drop-Down-control/idi-p/45475

In this image, as the user begins to type, the list of values is filtered and the first option that matches the input text auto selects for the end user.

And yes, I am aware that the search text is not a selected option.  The form can submit with Search Text in the field, however, so I am assuming I'll need to do some validation with the .Selected property, however, would that just be checking if the ComboboxField.Selected IsBlank?  [Of course written in an actual formula, just want to know if I'm going down the right path].

Thanks!

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@illmatic 

So then you are trying to have the first matching item automatically selected or something else?  That particular Idea you mention has to do with the dropdown aspect of the combobox control.

I'm confused as your original post mentioned "When users input data it filters accordingly, but I'm wondering if there's a way to make the field autoselect the first option that displays based on the users input. "

Please clarify which one you are looking for....or if I have misunderstood.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@illmatic 

Were you able to work through your issue or do you still need help?

Hi!  Thank you for reaching back out.  No, I was not able to resolve.   The issue is that when the user types in the Search Text field, the first match option in the dropdown is not automatically highlighted for them as in the example provided.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,979)