Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Search in progress indicator

Hello good people of Power Apps. 

I have been looking for a solution (if there is any) for this problem a couple of months now, and hope someone has a solution. 

I have an App connected to SQL where people can search and pick parts they use in a project.

I have a input text where they start typing what they need. A gallery runs Search(mrp.table;textinput;"name"). 

The function works fine, but as I have about 600 000 items in the sql table, it sometimes takes a while.

Question. Is it possible to get an indicator from the search function if it is in progress or completed (or anything) that I can use to inform the user whats going on. 

It would be nice to have a text saying (searcing...) and if no result (no results). Anything would help :). 

Best regards

Tommy 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hmmm..

How about:

Set your gallery items to a variable (GalleryVariable)

Add your label which will display searching and set it to a variable (SearchingVariable)

On your seach text box set the on change value to:

Set(SearchingVariable,"Searching");
Set(GalleryVariable,Search(mrp.table;ThisTextbox.Text;"name");
Set(SearchingVariable,"")

Don't know what performance will be like but should work

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hmmm..

How about:

Set your gallery items to a variable (GalleryVariable)

Add your label which will display searching and set it to a variable (SearchingVariable)

On your seach text box set the on change value to:

Set(SearchingVariable,"Searching");
Set(GalleryVariable,Search(mrp.table;ThisTextbox.Text;"name");
Set(SearchingVariable,"")

Don't know what performance will be like but should work

View solution in original post

Highlighted

I know there where clever guys out there 😊

Thanx a lot. This seems to work nice. The only thing is you need to hit enter or tab for the onChange to start. I kept the Search() code in my gallery and only use the GalleryVariable for information so people searing by typing will get a result (but no information). People who hit enter will get information. 

Tommy

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@TurboTape there is a delay input property, haven't played with it myself but may solve the enter/tab issue

Highlighted

@Delid4ve  I have tried this on my search gallery earlier. It works only on the "live search" part, like it waits a bit while you're typing before starting to search, but thanks for the tip anyway 😊

Just to be sure I just checked this, and it did not make the "on Change" run in either false or true state. 

I will try some other things later on. If I find a solution I will post it here. 

Tommy

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,652)