cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ROHITHGMURALI
Regular Visitor

Search using a substring on a large sharepoint list(Above 2000 records).

Hello all,

I wanted to create a search box where I can type a substring to search and the data table control should fetch all the records which have input string as a substring in it. This has to be done in a large Sharepoint list(Above 2000 records). 

Currently, I have implemented the StratsWith() inside a Filter() to implement the search which works but the limitation is that it will get only data which starts with the particular string in the results.

When I tried functions like Search() and in operator, I got the delegation warning and failed to do search after 2000 records.

I am giving an example for my use case below:

Data
Chair

.   (2000 records)

Hair
Air

Search term: hair

Result:

Data
Chair
Hair

As I mentioned earlier, main point is to avoid delegation warning while doing the substring search over 2000 records.

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ROHITHGMURALI ,

Both Search and In are simply not Delegable, so applying directly to a list over 2,000 records will not work.

There are a number of strategies - I have done a blog on Delegation with some workarounds - also refer to another one Using the With() statement which includes (if your list is not too big), you can collect the lot, but need some work on an numeric sequential identifier other than the ID.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ROHITHGMURALI ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (64,997)