cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SonnyG
Level: Power Up

Searching a SharePoint Lookup column can only be done on full text

When using the 'Allow Search' functionality in an auto-created combobox containing a SharePoint Lookup value you can only search for using a full-text query. I'm not able to get it to work on parts of the value. It kinda looks like a 'startsWith' function, but imho it should also work as a 'contains' function. Am I doing something wrong? Or is this a by-design issue?

Please find attached the list of Airports I see (in this case) and what happens when searching.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Searching a SharePoint Lookup column can only be done on full text

Hey @SonnyG 

I carried out some tests and confirm the behaviour shared by you. As a workaround to this, can you update the formulas for the LookUp type columns to a similar expression below:

Search(Choices([@TestList].ColumnName),DataCardValue5.SearchText,"Value")

Choices([@TestList].ColumnName) should be present already for a lookup type column. DataCardValue5 is the name of the Combobox control.

Note: If this an Edit Form, you need to first unlock the properties of the data card and then only you will be able to make the changes.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Searching a SharePoint Lookup column can only be done on full text

Hey @SonnyG 

I carried out some tests and confirm the behaviour shared by you. As a workaround to this, can you update the formulas for the LookUp type columns to a similar expression below:

Search(Choices([@TestList].ColumnName),DataCardValue5.SearchText,"Value")

Choices([@TestList].ColumnName) should be present already for a lookup type column. DataCardValue5 is the name of the Combobox control.

Note: If this an Edit Form, you need to first unlock the properties of the data card and then only you will be able to make the changes.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Coming Soon: T-Shirt Design Contest

Keep your eyes open for our upcoming T-shirt design contest!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,729)