cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kriggo15
Post Patron
Post Patron

Searching on multiple columns in gallery

Preface: I'm pretty new to PowerApps. I have a gallery that is linked to a SharePoint List. I want to be able to search across all fields with one search box. I can get it working when searching for 1 field but when I try to modify it to search across multiple fields, it breaks.

Details:

SP Online List Name: Data Stewards

Fields: Area, Steward Name, Type of Steward

Working function when searching across 1 field: SortByColumns(Filter([@'Data Stewards'], StartsWith(Title, TextSearchBox1.Text)), "Title", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

What modifications need to be made to the above function to be able to use 1 search box and search across all 3 fields?

16 REPLIES 16

I appreciate everyone's feedback/suggestions. I got it working withe name field but when I try with Type or Business Area, it says that the type is unsupported for evaluation. All 3 of these fields are single lines of text in the SharePoint list.

Update - Just got this working. Apparently I was choosing the wrong field.

kendallsmith
Regular Visitor

Hi, I am unsure of how to combine two search functions together. For instance, I have 

Search('PC',txtRF.Text, "and the column name")

and then 

Search('PC',txtPF.Text, "and the column name")

They both work individually but, I am unsure how to combine both of them.

Thank you!

@kendallsmith 

Search('Source', TextSearchBox1.Text, "Column1", "Column2", "Column3")

how would I go about with two different text boxes with two different columns? So I want a search for RF which is one filter and then another text box for PF so it is another filter box. I don't want to combine them into the same box.

notj
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

@kendallsmith I haven't nested searches, but I know you can nest Filters. Here's an example:

Solved: Multiple Search - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

Worked perfectly for me! Thanks!

heres2u
Frequent Visitor

I'd simply add "OR" with more "StartsWith" columns, noting that if the columns have multiple words and spaces to use apostrophes (see 3rd example column):

SortByColumns(Filter([@'Data Stewards'],
StartsWith(Area, TextSearchBox1.Text)
Or StartsWith('Steward Name', TextSearchBox1.Text)

Or StartsWith('Type of Steward', TextSearchBox1.Text)
), "Title", If(SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending))

Note:   I left "Title" as the SortDescending1, Descending, Ascending, but that could be changed to a different column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,708)