cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Security concern - PowerApps, would like to know...

hi,

I am new to PowerApps, I would like to know about it security

When I log into PA at the home page, from the side navg bar - Apps icon, I can see and edit list of people including my own created apps.  How can I disable others from opening and editing my apps in this section and only set to my department use?

When I published my created app, can I share it only to a group of people in my department and others not within the department should not be able to see or access it?

For the attachment items, are they are store in PowerApps as I upload it into my SharePoint list.  Can I remove the items in the colattachment , if I can how can it be done without affecting the SharePoint.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Security concern - PowerApps, would like to know...

Hi @bbsin ,

Update -- The "Preload App for enhanced Performance" feature is used to allow users to download the app file while authentication is in progress for embedded scenarios. However, the users can run your app only after successful authentication. This ensures that your app data will not be available to unauthenticated users.

If you disable this feature, your app data may be available to unauthenticated users. Please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/embed-teams-app#improve-the-performance...

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

I will answer the 1st of your 2 questions here.

From the Apps section, if you click on the 3 dots next to an app's name, there is a Share option. When you click on that, you have two types of shares. One is giving someone access as a User and the other is giving the user access as a Co-Owner. A user cannot edit your app. A co-owner can edit but not delete your app. During the Share process, you can either type in the names of all users or you can enter a group name so you can complete the share process in one step.

Coming to your 2nd question, are you asking where are attachments stored?

---
If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution.

Thanks!
Hardit Bhatia
The Power Addict
https://thepoweraddict.com
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Hardit

Ok tks

Yes I can see when I use the attachment Icon, the colattachment section has all the item ls inside as value. How can I clear up this section to empty? Will it affect the attachment uploaded in SharePoint list if i clear it? Tks
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bbsin ,

For your first question, if you want to disable apps created by other users within your Power Apps Web Portal, I afraid that there is no way to achieve your needs in PowerApps currently.

If you would like this feature to be added in PowerApps, please submit an idea to PowerApps Ideas Forum:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/idb-p/PowerAppsIdeas

For your second question, the answer is YES. When sharing canvas app in PowerApps, you could share this app to individual users or Security Group or a Office 365 Group.

On your side, you could consider create a Security Group or a Office 365 Group for your department, and then add your department members into this Security Group or Office 365 Group. Then you could share your canvas app to this Security Group or Office 365 Group.

More details about sharing an app with Security Group or Office 365 Group, please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app#security-group-considerations

For your third question, when you generate an app based on SP List, you could then enable the "Attachments" field within the Edit form, then you could use it to upload files. When you upload a file into this Attachments control, the file data would be stored in your current app's memory firstly, until you press the "Submit" button, the cached files through the Attachments control would be saved back to your SP List along with the submitted item record.

If you want to remove attached files from the Attachments field, you could only remove the files via the Attachments control. Currently, there is no other way supported to remove attached files directly from the Attachments field in a SP List.

Best regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Hi Kris

Just to clarify, by removing the files inside powerApps colattachment section is through the Attachmen control, will this also remove the same file that is inside SharePoint?

Secondly how to use the attachement control to remove ir clear up .. any command or steps. Tks
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Under the 3 dot, the Preload App for enhanced Performance

Can I disable this.?? What will happen?
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bbsin ,

Yeah. The Attachments control within the Edit form is bind to the Attachments field (System field) in your SP List. So when you remove files from the Attachments control, the corresponding file would be remove the Attachments field (System field) in your SP List for specific item.

When you generate an app based on your SP List, you could enable "Attachments" field in your Edit form as below:

5.JPG

you could attach files to SP list item through this Attachments control. If the current item you edit have already own attachments in your SP List, the Attachments control would display the related attached files for current item within the Attachments control as above screenshot.

If you want to remove the attached file for current item, please click the "X" icon within the Attachments control, and then press "Submit" button, then the corresponding attached file would be removed from your SP List.

6.JPG

Best regards,

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @bbsin ,

Update -- The "Preload App for enhanced Performance" feature is used to allow users to download the app file while authentication is in progress for embedded scenarios. However, the users can run your app only after successful authentication. This ensures that your app data will not be available to unauthenticated users.

If you disable this feature, your app data may be available to unauthenticated users. Please check the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/embed-teams-app#improve-the-performance...

Best regards,

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,269)