cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsismour
Helper I
Helper I

Select certain users from a drop down list

Hello, this is my second time asking about this as I couldn't figure things out the first time.

In my app, I have a form (linked to a SharePoint list) where I need the user to select an approver from a dropdown list (this is using a field of type person from the SharePoint list) to create a NEW record. Currently, this field is called "Chosen Approver". I have this field linked to a SharePoint group so only the 7 users in the group can be selected. However, upon hitting the dropdown, none of the 7 users appear. I can only search for their names to select them. I would like for the drop down menu to show all 7 users for the person creating the record to select. I'll attach some screenshots so you can see what I'm looking at. If anyone could please help me, I would truly appreciate it. I am willing to try any solution at all.

jsismour_0-1623265802631.png

jsismour_1-1623265836448.png

2 REPLIES 2
zmansuri
Super User
Super User

Because it is a complex type column it doesn't behave like that. I think there there is one long procedure using power automate to show SharePoint group as dropdown list.

One short workaround is.

Let's say there are 7 record in the list where your field Chosen Approver is. And all those 7 record have those 7 different people you want to show as dropdown.

Take one ComboBox. On it's Item's property

Distinct('YourSPList'.ChosenApprover, Chosen Approver.DisplayName)

Set the IsSearchable property of the ComboBox to following:

true

I gave that a go but I'm still having issues. Let me give you some more details.

When a user creates a new record, the forms are spanned across multiple screens. I'm using a variable called "varFormData" of type record to store all the data the user enters. Upon submitting, I'm using a patch function to create a new record from the data of varFormData.

For this Field, I now have it drawing from a separate SharePoint list (not where the actual records are being saved to). This separate list contains a field of type person where I have 7 records of the approvers. With the way I have it set up, the dropdown now works where the user can select the name of the person from that separate SharePoint list. Upon submitted, however, the chosen approver field (in the main list) is NOT updated with selection the user made (drawing from the other list).

With that being said, I feel that maybe what I should do is update varFormData.'Chosen Approver' to equal the value selected in the dropdown (pulling from the other SharePoint list). Do you think that would work? If so, how should I go about that? Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (2,393)