Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AppDeveloper
Helper IV
Helper IV

Send Email to different users based on different data from SharePoint

Hi,

I have a form which saves the data in SharePoint List. I then want to send emails to various departments based on the data filled in that Form. for example my Form has 30 questions out of which I want to send these to three different departments 10 questions each. Should I use Flow or use simple PowerApps Outlook connector on Success of the Form to send these emails?

In both cases this situation is new to me how potentially you think I can achieve this?

Kind Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Yes, consider using a Condition block (the If statement for flows) to do some decision logic, and possibly use the "When an item is created or modified" block to handle cases where the list is being updated as a task progresses.

Finally, and you'll see some examples of this on the Power Automate side of the Community, look into Trigger Conditions for the flow - this can save overusing the flow when it doesn't need to run.

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

A flow triggered off of a change to the List or an email generated at OnSuccess can both work well in this situation. For automation that doesn't require user input (such as sending three emails to the same three addresses every time), I prefer flows because there is less to worry about in terms of user permissions - less testing.

If you need to send the email to different addresses that depend on user input, it's probably easier to implement right in the app.

Hope that helps,

Bryan

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @BCLS776 

Thanks for your reply. I am new in flows and not familiar with the steps. is there any idea on this when it triggers after an item is created in SharePoint list?

Regards

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

You can set up a basic flow with this configuration:

BCLS776_0-1638291232915.png

and use the dynamic content from "when an item is created" to populate the message body in the emails. This functionality is completely independent of your app; it is triggered by a new item getting added to the SharePoint List.

Bryan

Hi @BCLS776 

Once again thanks that's brilliant. I am going to give it a try. The only issue left for me is to include if condition to see if the certain form fields are filled then it send the email if not then it should not send email.

Thanks

BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Yes, consider using a Condition block (the If statement for flows) to do some decision logic, and possibly use the "When an item is created or modified" block to handle cases where the list is being updated as a task progresses.

Finally, and you'll see some examples of this on the Power Automate side of the Community, look into Trigger Conditions for the flow - this can save overusing the flow when it doesn't need to run.

Bryan

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Difinity Conference 2022

Difinity Conference 2022

Register today for two amazing days of learning, featuring intensive learning sessions across multiple tracks, led by engaging and dynamic experts.

European SharePoint Conference

European SharePoint Conference

The European SharePoint Conference returns live and in-person November 28-December 1 with 4 Microsoft Keynotes, 9 Tutorials, and 120 Sessions.

Power Apps Ideas

Changes to Ideas Coming

We are excited to announce a new way to share your ideas for Power Apps!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,245)