cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper I
Helper I

Send Push Notifications if there are still offline data not sent

Good day humans,

I have this app wherein the user could submit a form or save it in his device when he is not connected to the internet.

I just would like to know if there is a way to send a push notification to the user to remind him that he still has an offline form not yet sent.

Cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @fpc-kdrosario ,

Would it be a better idea to have a check when opening the app that puts up a Notification or pop-up if there anything comes in on LoadData and possibly a timer that looks for something in the collection at specified intervals. Both of course would have to be tested on Connection.Connected being true.

You would have to check this anyway (otherwise how would you know), write something back to a list and then send a message back.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Super User
Super User

@fpc-kdrosario 

I really like the concepts explained in the video by Paul O'Flaherty

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAzZCh6hfbw

Working with SharePoint, he uses the fact that NEW records saved to a local collection won't have an ID as yet. Then it's a simple case of using the LoadData function to re-build the collection and filter this collection by IsBlank(ID) and check if the collection has any records. This could be done using CountRows, like this (pseudo code):

If CountRows(loadedDataCollection) > 0 then Notify( ... )

Paul uses a similar approach for MODIFIED records in that instead of the ID column he adjusts the 'Modified' column to a Date far in the future eg 31/12/3000. Then you would filter the above collection where Modified = '31/12/2099'.

He also use 'Modified' = '31/12/3001' for DELETED items.

Some really good offline tips and tricks in the above video.

@WarrenBelz wrote:

Hi @fpc-kdrosario ,

Would it be a better idea to have a check when opening the app that puts up a Notification or pop-up if there anything comes in on LoadData and possibly a timer that looks for something in the collection at specified intervals. Both of course would have to be tested on Connection.Connected being true.

You would have to check this anyway (otherwise how would you know), write something back to a list and then send a message back.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Actually, the push notification will be used to remind the user to open the app to send the offline forms he haven't sent yet (Probably forgotten to send before shift ends, etc.)

OK @fpc-kdrosario ,

How are you going to know they have unsaved data if you do not have the device tell you this?

Hi  @fpc-kdrosario ,

The main problem is how to know there is an offline form is stored locally, so there is no way to trigger Push notification service I think.

Sik

Hi @fpc-kdrosario ,

@v-siky-msft 's post is pretty much what I have been working around from my first response.

You could even use a timer set to the difference between the login time and the time you want to set the reminder to trigger it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (20,025)