Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Send a calendar invite as email

Hey guys

I am currently creating a calendar item with required attendees to the selected calendar with this formula:

Office365Outlook.V2CalendarPostItem(Dropdown1.Selected.Name; "Subject"; StartTime;EndTime; {Body: "Body"; RequiredAttendees: Concatenate(FirstEmail.Text;"; ";SecondEmail.Text); ResponseRequested: true})

This works fine so far. What I am missing here is that the required attendees will not be informed with an invitation email, as when you invite someone directly in Outlook. They have to look manually in their calendar to response to the event.

Is there a possibility to send the invitation as an email to the required attendees?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Send a calendar invite as email

@brimstone 

Try to use the V4CalendarPostItem function instead.  I can't speak to V2, but v4 does send an email invite to the required attendees.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@brimstone 

It doesn't look like there is a way to send Outlook style meeting requests through PowerApps or Flow.  If you want to submit a feature request to the Idea forums I would support it.

Otherwise, the best thing you could do right now is send an email using the Office365Outlook connector anytime a meeting is setup.

Office365Outlook.SendEmail("yourname@yourcompany.com", "Subject Here", "Email Body Here")

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@brimstone 

Try to use the V4CalendarPostItem function instead.  I can't speak to V2, but v4 does send an email invite to the required attendees.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@RandyHayes 

Good to know.  Thanks for the tip Randy!

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

@RandyHayes @mdevaney 
Thanks for the answers!

With the V4 function I now get the error "String was not recognized as a valid DateTime". For timeZone I tried both DateTimeZone.Local and UTC. Start and End comes from a datepicker and dropdowns for the hour/minutes. 

The formula looks like this now: 

Office365Outlook.V4CalendarPostItem(
Dropdown1.Selected.Name; "Subject"; 
DatePicker1.SelectedDate + Time(Value(DropdownHour.Selected.Value);Value(DropdownMinute.Selected.Value);0);
DatePicker1.SelectedDate + Time(Value(DropdownHour.Selected.Value)+1;Value(DropdownMinute.Selected.Value);0);
DateTimeZone.Local;
{body: "Body"; requiredAttendees: Concatenate(FirstEmail.Text;"; ";SecondEmail.Text); responseRequested: true})

Any idea why I get this error?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@brimstone 

Please change your formula to the following:

Office365Outlook.V4CalendarPostItem(
    Dropdown1.Selected.Name; 
    "Subject"; 
    Text(DatePicker1.SelectedDate + 
         Time(Value(DropdownHour.Selected.Value);Value(DropdownMinute.Selected.Value);0);
         UTC);
    Text(DatePicker1.SelectedDate + 
         Time(Value(DropdownHour.Selected.Value)+1;Value(DropdownMinute.Selected.Value);0);
         UTC);
    "(UTC) Coordinated Universal Time";
    {
       body: "Body"; 
       requiredAttendees: Concatenate(FirstEmail.Text;"; ";SecondEmail.Text);
       responseRequested: true
    }
)

Time/dates need to be in UTC and then specify UTC for the TimeZone.

Highlighted
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

I don't know your requirements but I've done this 2 ways:

1. Azure Function App -  I send the calendar events out at the end of the day.  I have a Timer function app that creates an .ics file and sends an email.  Azure Functions are very powerful.  I use Azure SQL DB.  Example ICS file:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
PRODID:Company Name
METHOD: PUBLISH
BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20190410T060304Z
DTSTART: 20190308T140000
DTEND: 20190308T220000
SUMMARY:Settlement Date for ...
UID:27ed033946a6430ca04c02ea2fb556c8
SEQUENCE:2
CLASS:PRIVATE
CATEGORIES:Personal
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

The benefit of this approach if you have to update the date you use the same UID and increment the sequence number.

The other approach I use is to use Excel.  I have an Azure Virtual Desktop.  I have an addin that produces reports that runs daily using Task Scheduler.  I have Outlook setup as well.  Example VBA code:

Dim oApp As New Outlook.Application
  Dim appt As Outlook.AppointmentItem
  Dim msg As Outlook.MailItem
  Dim oAcc As Outlook.Account
  Dim sb As String

On Error GoTo handler

Set appt = oApp.CreateItem(olAppointmentItem)
  Set msg = oApp.CreateItem(olMailItem)
  Set oAcc = oApp.Session.Accounts.Item(2)
  appt.MeetingStatus = olMeeting
  If EMAILTEST Then
    appt.RequiredAttendees = "User@Company" 
  Else
    appt.RequiredAttendees = eAddr
    appt.OptionalAttendees = "User@Company"
  End If
  appt.Location = "  "
 ' Convoluted process to get HTML for event
  msg.HtmlBody = s
  msg.GetInspector().WordEditor.range.FormattedText.Copy
  appt.GetInspector().WordEditor.range.FormattedText.Paste
  appt.Start = md
  appt.AllDayEvent = True
  appt.ReminderSet = False
  sb = mn & ": " & dateMsg
  appt.Subject = sb
  appt.SendUsingAccount = oAcc
  appt.Display
  appt.ReminderMinutesBeforeStart = 60
  appt.send
  Set msg = Nothing
  Set appt = Nothing
  Set oAcc = Nothing
  Set oApp = Nothing

Exit Sub

handler:
  Call MsgBox(Err.Number & ": " & Err.Description, vbOKOnly, "Email Send Error")
  Err.Clear

End Sub

I like this approach.  It produces an email and required attendees can accept and I get a reply that they have accepted.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

@RandyHayes Thanks a lot!

@mogulman Thanks for your effort. I haven't worked with Azure so far, but I'll keep it in mind and try it out if I get the chance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,485)