Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Send email when changes to a form have been made

Hi

Is there a way in PowerApps canvas app, to only alert the users when there have been changes to a form.

I have a canvas app form, linked to SPO.

It has a number of stages with various different users completing sections sometimes simultaneously other times singly.

An example of what I am curious to know if possible is.

User1 completes Part A

User 2 completes Part B and inserts 3 usernames in that screen and saves - this triggers an email to the 3 people for them to complete there own Parts (PartC1, PartC2, PartC3)

Of the 3 people selected 1 says he is not the correct person to complete this (I haven't catered for this anywhere, I'm simply expecting User4 to go to User2 and get him to change his name to someone else).

I expect User2 will go back to the same screen and make the change, issue is the send email I have set up on that screen, will send an email to the other users also (User3 and User5).

What I'm looking to do is, only if any changes are made, those users are notified and also want to disable the save button if no changes have been made on the screen, are either of these possible?

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Send email when changes to a form have been made

Watch this video on notifications and emailing:
https://youtu.be/crsG3324dLo?t=448

If you like this reply, please give kudos. And if this solves your problem, please accept this reply as the solution

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @G99 ,

All of that is possible with the Office365Outlook connector and the built-in User().Email functions.

You would need a table to reference who one user's changes need to be sent to who, but it is certainly able to be done.

Happy to elaborate further.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @G99 ,

As the data source is a Sharepoint list, you could achieve the email notification using Power Automate using the "When an item is created or modified" trigger to send an email notification to the specified users.

As for only displaying a Save button when a form field is modified, one way to do this could be to set the OnChange property of each field to update a context variable ie. UpdateContext({varFormModified: true}) and set the Visible property of the button to varFormModified.

Hope this helps, let me know if you need any further support 🙂

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @G99 ,

A few choices here - just tag whoever you want to continue the thread with.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

HI @Anonymous 

My struggles with Power Automate have been I have not been able to provide a deep link, link in the email which Power Automate sends to users, so that the user can be directed to the PowerApps form item, rather I can only provide them with a link to the SPO list item, I've not been able find any info online as to if this is possible.

Regarding your suggestion about

"OnChange property of each field to update a context variable ie. UpdateContext({varFormModified: true}) and set the Visible property of the button to varFormModified"

I've tried this on 1 field by setting the OnChange property to UpdateContext({varFormModified: true})

and but the save button visible property varFormModified but the button stayed active, does it need to be done for all fields, or am I missing something?

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @WarrenBelz 

If not too much hassle, i'd be interested to learn more about your suggestion also. Still relatively new to Power Apps, so understanding how others use the application will help.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

HI @eka24 

Thanks

I'm in the office with no sound on my PC, I will view this and report back tomorrow

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

OK @G99 ,

I will start you with some ideas.

Firstly, set a Variable at App OnStart for the user's email

Set(vUserMail,User().Email)

You then know who the logged in user is.

You would need a SharePoint control list with all the user's names for the dropdowns and then a lookup to get the email.

You can use the Office365Outlook connector to sen the mail directly fromPowerApps.

All the rest is coding and If statements.

I am happy to help if you get stuck.

Highlighted
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @WarrenBelz 

Afraid the part where you mention I will need a drop down with all the users, wont be possible as User3-User5 can be anyone in the org so around 30k users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,931)