cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Separating permission scopes between data source (SP) and PowerApps

Hi folks,

I’m building an App that interacts with a SharePoint list.

I need to make sure that users interact with the list through the App exclusively. My first thought was to use a service account for the connection to SP and set the list permissions accordingly (edit for the service account, no permissions for the users) – since this is how I would have done it in the past. It seems like there is no way to action the connection to SP in a different user context than the one running the app.

So far the only idea I had was to use a flow to do the dirty work using a different account – However this is not a great solution. Users need to interact with multiple items in a short time span. This makes for a timing issue since the values would have to be copied around and the flow takes some time to execute.

Has anyone been able to do something similar?

Thanks, take care,

Alex

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Separating permission scopes between data source (SP) and PowerApps

You could try giving the users the permissions they would need in the SharePoint list to allow the SharePoint connector in PowerApps to its things. Then hide the list and turn off the search index for the list or site. This would make it very unlucky (but not impossible) that a user could find the list and update it.

Could also harden this approach by making the default view (and the only view) show nothing and make sure the users permission don't include the ability to create public of private views. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Separating permission scopes between data source (SP) and PowerApps

Permission by omission. 

I'll have to keep looking, but thanks for your suggestion.
I might go this way until I find something more robust.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,085)