Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PowerappsMax
Helper II
Helper II

Service Account Outlook Question

Hello,

I have questions about service accounts and the Power Platform. They are to be used as the owners of the production applications in Production environments. They are also going to be used to run Power Automate Flows and send emails.

The service account won't have a mailbox itself but it will have “Send As” permissions on a shared mailbox. This is in hopes to stop automated emails from coming from a user account.

Example:

Service Account:

Service-companyname@

Shared Mailbox:

Companyname-automation@

My question is, will I be able to create a connection to outlook with the service account to even get to the point of being able to utilize send as? Or will the service account itself need a mailbox?

Let me know if I need to elaborate more!

Thanks in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerappsMax ,

The Service Account should need an Outlook connection to be able to have "authority" to use Outlook. The best way to confirm this is to try to create a Flow with the service account using an Outlook action.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @PowerappsMax ,

I suggest you lodge a Support Ticket with Microsoft - the issue seems to be with the licencing.

5 REPLIES 5
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @PowerappsMax ,

The Service Account should need an Outlook connection to be able to have "authority" to use Outlook. The best way to confirm this is to try to create a Flow with the service account using an Outlook action.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Do you know what licensing the service account will need to be able to use outlook? Would having the Power Apps Per user plan be sufficient to establish an outlook connection or would it need an E5?

Hi @PowerappsMax ,

E3 will do the job fine - I have a Service Account with E3 and a per-user Flow plan and can do what I need.

Hey @WarrenBelz 

Running into some issues with my service account...

It is a user in the environment, has systems administrator security role, and has appropriate licensing.

However, the only thing I can not do is connect to outlook in order to send emails as the shared mailbox. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 8.11.11 PM.png

The account ends with '.onmicrosoft.com'

Is this the issue causing it? Would this be the wrong type of account?

Let me know what you think

Thanks!

Hi @PowerappsMax ,

I suggest you lodge a Support Ticket with Microsoft - the issue seems to be with the licencing.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,403)