cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesOxton Helper II
Helper II

Service Desk Example

Hi there,

Hope someone can help, within the Service Desk Example it uses an Excel spreadsheet for the data and when a form is submitted it auto creates in the ID field a number and then the rest of the info goes along with it.  When the next form is submitted it goes to the next line and addes the next number in sequence IE 

1  DATA

2 DATA

What part of this example creates the new line in excel and auto completes the number?  Its probably some so simple but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Service Desk Example

Hi JamesOxton,

I created an app from the template Service Desk.

On the New Ticket screen, I found a hidden card for the ID column.

On the app I created from the template, its DataCard24.

When you click Value22, you will find a function for its Default value: CountRows(Tickets)+1.

When you click the Create ticket button, the value in Value22 will be updated. As the Update function for the ID card has been set to: Value22.Text.

3.PNG

So you could also try to use the function CountRows(DataSource)+1 on your side to see if it will work for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support
Community Support

Hi JamesOxton,

I assume that you are not sure how the data are saved to the Excel table automatically. If I misunderstand you, please feel correct me.

When we start an app from the template, we are asked to specify a cloud storage account to place the file, such as OneDrive, Dropbox. Then there will be a connection between PowerApps and the Excel file.

About the Service desk sample app, when you click the “+” button, you will be navigated to a newform, at there, you will use SubmitForm function to submit data to the Excel table.

3.PNG

This documentation about NewForm, SubmitForm function could be your reference:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/function-form/

You could also start an app from blank, using the available connection that you want. Please check this doc for more details:
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/working-with-forms/

Please feel free reply if you need more help.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
JamesOxton Helper II
Helper II

Hi,

Sorry I haven't explained it well... I know how to write the data to a excel document but what I'm having trouble with is I re-wrote the form that is submitted and now it isn't completing the ID feild of the document instead it leaves it blank and carries on filling in the other parts of the field so the ID number within the document is blank.

How did this template write the ID field part of things to it?

Thanks

James

Community Support
Community Support

Hi JamesOxton,

What do you mean by “re-wrote the form”? I am not sure with this.

You said that the ID field is blank, do you mean that when you submit the form, the ID column in the Excel table is blank?

3.PNG

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

JamesOxton Helper II
Helper II

Yes the ID field is blank... I was trying to write my own version of that App but it no longer writes to the ID field... so to put it simply how does the orginal app write the data to the ID field correctly IE say I'm upto ID 17 how does it go to the next line and enter 18...

Thanks

James

Community Support
Community Support

Hi JamesOxton,

I created an app from the template Service Desk.

On the New Ticket screen, I found a hidden card for the ID column.

On the app I created from the template, its DataCard24.

When you click Value22, you will find a function for its Default value: CountRows(Tickets)+1.

When you click the Create ticket button, the value in Value22 will be updated. As the Update function for the ID card has been set to: Value22.Text.

3.PNG

So you could also try to use the function CountRows(DataSource)+1 on your side to see if it will work for you.

Best regards,
Mabel Mao

View solution in original post

JamesOxton Helper II
Helper II

Many thanks for the info took me a few mins but got it working as I wanted it too!

Many Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,527)