Has this time limit been looked at being extended? This is getting a bit ridiculous to be working in a web session and being told WHILE you are actively working that the session is ending.
What is the benefit of this besides the frustration of having to save, close out and re-launch? I could understand idle sessions needing to be closed but not if I'm literally in the middle of typing having this pop-up telling me my session is expiring.
Are you encountering this issue in all the browsers? Would you please check with different ones? Also, try to clear cache in IE and have a try. Also, is this only happening to specific apps or all your apps?
Please provide your session ID above doesn't solve your issue.
All browsers yes, it's not a good experience editing right now with any browser or the local app.
Here's my list of complaints
1. Session expired or about to expire pop-up literally interupts what you are doing, I just had it happen this morning while selecting multiple image fields right in the middle of clicking them. If I'm actively in an app and working on it there should never be a timeout for my session or a pop-up interupting my selecting.
2. Locked for editing override button almost always pops up when opening the app for editing even when saving and closing the app correctly in either the web preview or local desktop app. It's almost like clicking close on the app doesn't release the lock on it. (to take this picture I just closed and opened it and sure enough it popped up)
3. Crippling slowness in all editing. I'm on a great piece of hardware (i7, 32gb ram, fast SSD) and the program crawls doing even simple text entry in the desktop app leaving me no choice but to edit on the web which brings up the next group of issues.
4. Weird browser glitches and bugs.
Chrome: When moving multiple components using the arrow keys there is this stuttering effect that causes the selected items to jump back and forth in the direction selected.
Edge: Massive delay in gallery updates. You can move a few items and wait a good 10 seconds for the rest of the gallery to realize a change has happened.
Chrome/Edge: Moving an item by clicking and dragging causes all the predictive locating to sometimes go bonkers and pick items 4 or 5 fields away to try to align to. This causes massive frustrations when trying to move items small distances and generally means I have to type in solid number values to position every field leading to my next issue.
Chrome/Edge: Typing in values in a field sometimes simply omits the last digit value. If I type in 100 for a width for example, it will sometimes just ignore the last 0 and make the item 10 wide. I then have to go back into the field, it shows a colored 10 with a black 0 and delete the black 0 and re-type it.
5: Recent files has never shown the file I was just in. I don't know why this is even here, it just simply doesn't update in either Edge, IE, or Chrome.
6. Collection limit of 500 is not enough for even the most basic of databases. Because you cannot use relational lookups easily I've resorted to collecting everything first, and then merging/combining information using addcolumns etc. The 500 limit in collections causes this to be a show stopper for most of our databases and we are constantly using workarounds to get data into the app.
7. Lack of printing and basic reporting.
That's just my small list of items for your info, otherwise the functionality is getting there but if the editing doesn't improve we may have to change platforms as we grow.
I created this idea a while back about renewing the timeout counter:
I frequently get this extremely ... annoyinging ... message as well, while actively working on a Power App.
I generally happens in two messages ...
First you get this:
Admittedly, this allows you to Save work ... assuming you see the message ...
BUT .. then within a couple of minutes ... you get a second message indicating that ...
Your PowerApps session has ended.
Start a new session.
At this juncture ... it's over. If you have not saved, you have lost whatever work since your last save.
This is total insanity ...
And further .... being idle for maybe 20-30 minutes results in the same issue. This is not acceptable and completely unnecessary.
I am also experiencing this while working on a browser... I gave up on the desktop version when it kept closing whenever I was opening something else on top of it, thus loosing the changes I was working on.
Now the browser version (used on Chrome) comes up with this message even when I am actively working on it...
It also happened a few times when I have left the app open in a tab while working on something else, and when I got back to it the session already expired and I had no other option than to close and re-open, loosing changes again...but in this scenario I agree that it was my fault.
I have now developed a habit of continuously saving, which is not exactly great as it creates many versions of the app and it makes it hard to find a version that you want to recover (not having any kind of saving comments attached).
Can something be done please?? We should not be interrupted while we are working actively on an app...
re: "a habit of continuously saving, which is not exactly great as it creates many versions of the app and it makes it hard to find a version that you want to recover (not having any kind of saving comments attached)."
Exactly. I've always had the habit of Control+S working with most anything (especially in Access/VBA) ... but as you note, in PAs .... it keeps creating new versions. Kind of a double edge sword.
PLEASE fix the Session Expired issue.
I continue to save and creates too many versions to manage.
Even while activly working and saving, it still times out.
and loose the changes since the last Save.
Got to be a better way!
Agreed. I'm tired of losing my work because my PowerApps session times out while I'm making coffee. This comment box is equipped with better autosave/recovery functions than PowerApps. This is honestly ridiculous.
Please fix this. I lose so much productivity whenever someone comes to my deskt to talk with me, I grab a phone call, etc and happen to miss the message.
Savgin every few minutes is not sustainable due to the same reasons others have mentioned.
Honestly, who thought this was a good idea/feature?
Read the announcement for more information!
Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.
Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020
Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications