cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zlunger
Frequent Visitor

Set Combo Box Default Value to Parent Name

Hi all,

I am building a Power App that will have a gallery with a list of people coming from a SharePoint list. When a person is selected from the list, several values are set and there is a "profile" screen that comes up with those values set on the page (name, email, status, etc). From there, I allow users of the Power App to edit the user profile and update the SharePoint list through a form.

However, when I send the user from the profile to the edit form that will allow updates to the profile, I want the form to be autofilled with the person's profile data already existing so that it can simply be changed. Currently I am doing this with a combo box that fills the form based on the selected name from there.

I would like to set the form to be automatically filled with the person's data that I am selecting already, how do I go about that?

--------

@mdevaney I have used a lot of your tutorials and this feels like something you would be able to answer well for me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zlunger ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? If the Gallery and the Form share the same data source (in Items/DataSource property) which I assume is the people profile list, and the Item property of the form is set to Gallery.Selected , the form will automatically be populated the selected people profile by default. I cannot understand what you mentioned "doing this with a combo box that fills the form based on the selected name from there", would you please provide some screenshots of the App screen?

If you have a people list and a profile list, using the profile list as the data source of the edit form, and the it is a people column is LookUp/Person type within the profile lit, you will need to confirm in the very beginning because there would be much difference to apply to the two scenarios. But I'm not aware of the reason that using a separate profile list so this is only the assumption.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @zlunger ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? If the Gallery and the Form share the same data source (in Items/DataSource property) which I assume is the people profile list, and the Item property of the form is set to Gallery.Selected , the form will automatically be populated the selected people profile by default. I cannot understand what you mentioned "doing this with a combo box that fills the form based on the selected name from there", would you please provide some screenshots of the App screen?

If you have a people list and a profile list, using the profile list as the data source of the edit form, and the it is a people column is LookUp/Person type within the profile lit, you will need to confirm in the very beginning because there would be much difference to apply to the two scenarios. But I'm not aware of the reason that using a separate profile list so this is only the assumption.

Best regards,

@v-jefferni 

That is exactly what I was looking for with the Gallery.Selected! Can't believe I didn't realize it before, I appreciate it.

The combo box was doing the same thing, but with the list of people that are in the gallery as choices from the combo box to fill the form in question.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,711)