Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morall
Microsoft
Microsoft

Set dropdown to blank by default

I've created a dropdown list

Items forumula:

Filter('OneEng Candidates', cr818_OneEngEvent.cr818_oneengeventid = DropdownEvent.Selected.cr818_oneengeventid)

I set the default value to the dropdown as: "" or "test" but it still keeps showing as the first item in the Items formula filter

Why is that? Does the formula override the Default? Do I need to save the app and reload?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@morall 
I can help you with this 🙂

You'll have to create a collection in the and add a blank option.  Do this by creating a collection.

You'll probably need to create the collection in 2 places: OnVisible property of the app and the OnChange property of DropdownEvent.

ClearCollect(colDropdownOptions, {your_column_name: Blank()});
Collect(colDropdownOptions, Filter('OneEng Candidates', cr818_OneEngEvent.cr818_oneengeventid = DropdownEvent.Selected.cr818_oneengeventid).your_column_name;

Then refer to the collection in the Items property of your dropdown.

colDropdownOptions

A similar concept is shown in this example:

https://matthewdevaney.com/powerapps-collections-cookbook/unique-values-from-a-collection-with-a-bla...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@morall 
I can help you with this 🙂

You'll have to create a collection in the and add a blank option.  Do this by creating a collection.

You'll probably need to create the collection in 2 places: OnVisible property of the app and the OnChange property of DropdownEvent.

ClearCollect(colDropdownOptions, {your_column_name: Blank()});
Collect(colDropdownOptions, Filter('OneEng Candidates', cr818_OneEngEvent.cr818_oneengeventid = DropdownEvent.Selected.cr818_oneengeventid).your_column_name;

Then refer to the collection in the Items property of your dropdown.

colDropdownOptions

A similar concept is shown in this example:

https://matthewdevaney.com/powerapps-collections-cookbook/unique-values-from-a-collection-with-a-bla...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Just out of curiosity, the default is meant to select the default item from the list, not necessarily add create new items? 

@morall 

Yes, that's correct.  Your observation is the reason why we cannot default to blank if its not already within the dropdown items as an option.

---

I threw this in App and ran Run On Start:

ClearCollect(colDropdownOptions, {Name: "Morgan"});
Collect(colDropdownOptions, Filter('OneEng Candidates', cr818_OneEngEvent.cr818_oneengeventid = DropdownEvent.Selected.cr818_oneengeventid).Name;

But only "Morgan" is showing up. I would have expected it to "combine" Morgan with the rest of the options. Can you see what I'm doing wrong  

Was missing a ")"

This is causing an error now on my Patch when trying to update an entity with the values in the dropdown menus:

The Patch code on a Button

ForAll(
    Gallery4.AllItems,
    Patch(
        'OneEng Candidates_Interviewers',
        Defaults('OneEng Candidates_Interviewers'),
        {
            Candidate: Slot1.Selected,
            Interviewer: Interviewer,
            IVSlot: Value(Label_Slot1.Text),
            Event: DropdownEvent.Selected,
            MorningOrAfternoon:drpdownMorA.Selected.Value
        }
    )
);

ForAll(
    Gallery4.AllItems,
    Patch(
        'OneEng Candidates_Interviewers',
        Defaults('OneEng Candidates_Interviewers'),
        {
            Candidate: Slot1.Selected,
            Interviewer: Interviewer,
            IVSlot: Value(Label_Slot2.Text),
            Event: DropdownEvent.Selected,
            MorningOrAfternoon:drpdownMorA.Selected.Value
        }
    )
);

"Invalid Argument type. Expecting a record value, but of a different schema."

Is this because previously it was looking at records in the dropdown, but now it's looking at a collection?

The table I'm patching this into is expecting a record value and it seems when I create a collection, it strips away the record value. Is there a way to handle this?

as a hack, not sure if there is a better way to do this:

Candidate: First(Filter('OneEng Candidates', Name = Slot1.Selected.Name)) 

The collection is returning a name, and I am trying to use that name as a filter on the 'OneEng Candidates' table, (the one I started with), and return the first record 

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,478)