cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Set person lookup default to User() doesn't work

I have an auto-created Person lookup field in a record from sharepoint. For new records I want to default the field to the current user. This works fine by setting the default of the lookup to User().

When I access records where this field is set to other users it works correct in the display record form, but then defaults back to the current user when editing the form. This behavior is not correct.

Shouldn't the default only kick in when INITIATING A NEW RECORD? not when editing an existing record?

Kind regards,Gregor

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Advocate III
Advocate III

I noticed similar behavior when creating defaults for data entry items and decided to make two screens, each dedicated to either add or edit. It wasn't much of a hassle since you can easily duplicate screens.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

That's a good idea. I'll give this a try. Cheers.
Highlighted

Hi gregor,

Do you need any further assistance on this?

For editing part, I think @TschoofBAH shared a good idea, creating two editing screen should make it work in your scenario.

Please reply back if you need any further assistance on this.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted

having separate forms for 'New' and 'Edit' is a good work around for the problem described above.

however, this is still not workign properly. now, the User() appears as a default when i create new records, but when i save records, i get a "field needs a value..." error. only if i manually select the dropdown to resolve the User() email it works. it's like the User() email gets filled into the dropdown, but the actual record doesn't get resolved. not until the dropdown is pressed to "lookup" the record. we look up users from azure AD.

the idea was to have the user field not visible and get filled with the User().

any ideas? thanks and kind regards,

Gregor

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,215)