cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Setting Choice Field default value on New Form

I have a PowerApps form linked to a SharePoint list.  The SP list has a choice field (let's call it Status) with three choices.  For the sake of argument I'll say the choices are choice1, choice2,  choice3. 

The PowerApps form is a New form so I can create a new item in the SP list.  I want the dropdown/choice field in the form (The SP Status field) from the SP list to default to choice1. 

I thought this was something easy but turns out not so much based on all my failed attempts to make this work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Setting Choice Field default value on New Form

Hi @Paul2000 ,

Do you want your single choice field display "choice1" as default value in new form?

Could you tell me whether do you use combo box or drop down to choose for this single choice filed?

1)If you use combo box

Firstly, unlock this field.

Then set the combo box's DefaultSelectedItems:

{Value:"choice1"}

Then, the combo box will display choice1 as the default value instead of blank value.

2267.PNG

//in my test, my choice is "Complete","Incomplete".

2)If you use drop down, this will be a little complex.

Choice field display as combo box in default. Using drop down to update need to do more customizations.

Then, delete the original combo box in the choice field.

Insert a drop down to this field's data card.

Set the drop down's Items:

Choices(listname.choicefieldname)

Set the drop down's Default:

"choice1"

Set the datacard's Update:

Dropdown1.Selected

If you mind the error message of "Y" property, you could just remove the formula in it.

22601.gif

Then, the drop down will display choice1 as the default value instead of blank value.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @Paul2000 ,

You can make the Default of the field on the form (I will use ChoiceBox for the dropdown and Form2 for the form) - replace with your control and form names. For the Default of your control in Form2

If(
   Form2.Mode = FormMode.New,
   ChoiceBox.Selected.Value,   /depending on the list formation, may be Choices.Selected.Status
   Parent.Default
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Paul2000 ,

Do you want your single choice field display "choice1" as default value in new form?

Could you tell me whether do you use combo box or drop down to choose for this single choice filed?

1)If you use combo box

Then set the combo box's DefaultSelectedItems:

{Value:"choice1"}

Then, the combo box will display choice1 as the default value instead of blank value.

2267.PNG

//in my test, my choice is "Complete","Incomplete".

2)If you use drop down, this will be a little complex.

Choice field display as combo box in default. Using drop down to update need to do more customizations.

Then, delete the original combo box in the choice field.

Insert a drop down to this field's data card.

Set the drop down's Items:

Choices(listname.choicefieldname)

Set the drop down's Default:

"choice1"

Set the datacard's Update:

Dropdown1.Selected

If you mind the error message of "Y" property, you could just remove the formula in it.

22601.gif

Then, the drop down will display choice1 as the default value instead of blank value.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,433)