cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABlake

Setting up a SharePoint to update items in a separate list using Power Automate

Hi,

I have recently been trying to setup an automated system for our computer asset database. So far i have created an online Form which stores results in a SharePoint list automatically when a response is submitted. The next step is getting these results to update a parent list on the same SharePoint where we keep records of who owns what device.

All of our devices have a 5 letter/number combination unique identifier, this means we can easily track who has what and have a regular naming convention. Because of this i would like to automate the process of keeping our records up to date and automatically updating our main database when responses are submitted on the Form.

I have managed to get the Flow to run smoothly but cannot link the unique identifier to the Id section of 'Update Item', selecting ID is not applicable as it only updates what number the entry is in the list. I was wondering if there was an easy way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ABlake_0-1653486818459.png

2 REPLIES 2
C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, the Update Items connector must have the SharePoint record Id to allow the update to take place. Are you able to add the ID to the When an item is created list? if so you can then use it to update your second list. 

Assuming you have built a custom PowerApps form its probably easier to do what you are doing all in PowerApps when you submit the first item. 

Hi,

The ID works fine for updating but it does not update the specified item within the main database, instead it updates the record that matches the submission number of the form.

My master list has over 1000 entries and when done using this method the update item will only update based on the latest ID for the Form submission list, what i would like to do is setup a system where it can use one of the responses from the form to lookup the Asset Tag in the master list and update the information associated with this item.

Hope that makes sense.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,392)