cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marekmarek1
Frequent Visitor

Setting up the database for comments

Hello,

I would like to start using and tracking comments in one of my projects. The dataset contains information about sales to our customers. The important columns are Customer Name, Order Number, Month, Gross Sales Value.

Process flow:

* One excel file per country on a monthly basis saved on SharePoint (files are named YYYYMM_Country = 202110_Finland, etc.)

* Power BI connects to SharePoint folder

* Power BI has a daily refresh schedule from SharePoint 

* Approx. 1,5M rows (aggregation = order number level)

What I would like to do is to create a Power App which will allow users to enter comments.

The data point for which the comments will be entered will be on a Customer & Month level (user selected which month and which customer and enters comment in the text box). I don't want to have comments on the invoice level. If I aggregate the table to the Customer Level & Month level, I will end up with approx 300k rows.

My question is... how do I prepare the file/source data for the comments? Ideally, I would create excel connected to Power BI Dataset, but this is not possible. SharePoint list seems to small... I don't have a SQL Server either. Is there any workaround for that?

3 REPLIES 3
StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @marekmarek1 

I see you mentioned you don't have an SQL server. By looking at this data I recommend having Azure SQL. Azure SQL server S1 (2 GB) is very cheap which is $4/month. We are using Azure SQL since PowerApps does not have a connector to Synapse.

PowerApps works well with Power BI embedded with SQL Server as backend

I have been doing writeback functionality for a few clients. And I have a few blogs for this.

Other Related blogs. Please let me know, I can provide more inputs.

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

marekmarek1
Frequent Visitor

This makes sense... so, is this the only way to go?

The problem is that setting up a SQL Server in the Company I'm working in will take months and the IT will charge us thousands $ for setting this up... but these are internal issues on my end.

That's why I was looking for some easier/faster solution without involving IT. Nevertheless, what you provided is helpful. thank you!

StalinPonnusamy
Super User
Super User

Hi @marekmarek1 

Please let us know if anything needs on your post. We can help with this.

Please mark the post as Solved If I have answered your question.
Please give it a Thumbs Up if you find the suggestion helpful

Thanks,
Stalin - Learn To Illuminate

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,769)