cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

SharePoint Calculated field value not showing to all users if wrapped with Value().

I have a weird Power App problem that I have never encountered before, and I am really struggling to find the root cause of it. I have done some troubleshooting and in the simplest form the problem is this:

I have a calculated field in SharePoint. The value in the field is a number and I need to do some comparisons against it in the app. But since it's a calculated field, Power App doesn't understand it's a number unless I put Value() around it. 

All good, right? Well. No.

Half of my users see the value in the app. Half of them don't. They all use the app via Chrome browser and have the same user rights to the SharePoint list.

If I use ThisItem.field, all users see the value in the app but I get errors because it's not a number.

If I use  Value(ThisItem.field), no errors but half of the users don't see the value at all. 

What am I missing here? I was hoping this problem would resolve itself but it's been a month now and time is running out. Either I solve this problem or take the time to build the functionality in a completely different way. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: SharePoint Calculated field value not showing to all users if wrapped with Value().

The feature in the app that this problem is affecting is not a label, it's a progress bar that is based on a slider and some of the colors and icons change depending on the slider value. I used the labels only for troubleshooting, figuring out what I see differently than the users with the problem. I used the sliders there as well.

I think this remains a mystery, since I had to create a workaround. I just do the calculation directly in the app instead of SharePoint. Everything else works like a charm, it just needed, you know, a value that actually exists 😅

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

Re: SharePoint Calculated field value not showing to all users if wrapped with Value().

@Anonymous 

Unsure about this as we did not get this issue when using it this way.

A quick thing we can think of is, do some calculation on PowerApps side that doesn't change the number.

For example, divide the number by 1 e.g. Value(ThisItem.field/1) and see if this helps in any way.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's the weirdest thing really. I have tried to find something in common with the users that don't see the value, but there is nothing. It's not completely random either since it only affects certain users, and it affects them every time. And the rest of the group always see the value. 

But I try this dividing in my next round of troubleshooting. I'm not awfully positive though. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, the result from the troubleshoot round #83748378743

They can see a number if I use Value(ThisItem.field/1). However, the number is always zero and that is incorrect. 

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Anonymous 

1. Is the number a decimal?
  2. You can try this instead as well: Value(ThisItem.field + 0).
  3. What are some examples of the exact data that can be in ThisItem.field e.g. is 123.45678 a possible value? Is 123 a possible value?
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

The value in the calculated field is always a number between 0 and 6. So the only possible values are 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

ThisItem.field shows the value in the app as 1.00000000000000 (etc)

Value(ThisItem.field) shows the value as 1. (etc)

And while zero is a possible value in the field, items with the value of zero are not shown in the app. 

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here are some visuals:

This is what I see in the app, both  values are visible.

2.PNG

Here is a screenshot provided by a user who is affected by this problem. There is nothing to see.

1.PNG

And obviously short number is Value(ThisItem.field) and the long number is ThisItem.field. Just made it more friendly to the poor user who has to help me troubleshoot this.

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Anonymous 

Wow, not sure why affect some users and not others,

The affected users can try clear cache and cookies, but unsure this will help.

Can try this workaround as well, but really unsure why you have the issue, you should not have it:

Value(Text(ThisItem.field))

or

Value(Text(Value(ThisItem.field)))

However, we think above should not be needed!

Highlighted
Power Participant
Power Participant

@Anonymous 

You can also try arbitrarily rounding the calculated value to see if for some reason it helps in your specific case:

Round(Value(ThisItem.TheCalculatedField), 0)

Further details about Round functions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-round

Description

The Round, RoundDown, and RoundUp functions round a number to the specified number of decimal places:

• Round rounds up if the next digit is a 5 or higher. Otherwise, this function rounds down.
  • RoundDown always rounds down to the previous lower number.
  • RoundUp always rounds up to the next higher number.

If you pass a single number, the return value is the rounded version of that number. If you pass a single-column table that contains numbers, the return value is a single-column table of rounded numbers. If you have a multi-column table, you can shape it into a single-column table, as working with tables describes.

Syntax

Round( Number, DecimalPlaces )
RoundDown( Number, DecimalPlaces )
RoundUp( Number, DecimalPlaces )

• Number - Required. The number to round.
  • DecimalPlaces - Required. The number of places to the right of the decimal point to round to. Use 0 to round to a whole number.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think none of those work, because the value does not exist. You cannot divide, round etc something that does not exist 😅

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,193)