cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

SharePoint Images showing on Iphone

I know there are a lot of posts on this already, my difficulty is some of the posts pre date recent updates and I am trying to find out if now (feb 2020) you can display photos on mobile devices when the image is created by supplying the image parameter with s SharePoint url?

Is this now possible. I have managed to send the images up to SharePoint where Ican view them their and they also show on PowerApps desktop/studio but when I publish to iphone the images are blank.

Help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: SharePoint Images showing on Iphone

Hi @CliveMM ,

Firstly the field in SharePoint I have found has to be called Thumbnail or it will not work. Sorry for my lack of clarity (now I read my post, this was not obvious), the Thumbnail field needs to be in the Image Library, not the SharePoint list.

To display the picture in a gallery image control, the Image property simply needs to be ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large (not the SharePoint URL you have, which should work on PCs, but not on mobile devices due to the way they access SharePoint anonymously}.

If you base the gallery on a Collection, it displays much faster on mobile devices. As you are normally only collecting the photos associated with the item, the collecting is generally very quick.

I have put the questions from your Word document below and will try to answer them as best I can.

I have two thumbnail fields set up a share point list called T1 & T2 set up like this, however I don’t know what to do to associate the field T1 with Image_1_1.jpg and T2 with the other image. 

See note above regarding the field location.

I think this is the missing link, you mentioned a calculated field and I an unsure what this means. So the field contents are blank.I want the image displayed here in an edit screen, whose data source is the same list with the T1 / T2 fields. The example below works on the PA desktop studio but images are blank when its run on am iPhone. I am hoping if I can get the t1/t2 fields populated correctly, I can just change the image property show here to the appropriate T field name.

Firstly, the Calculated field I was referring to was Thumbnail - like any calculated field, the value is created when the image is filed in the Library. For the display, a little more work, but all easily done. One option is to simply display them in a gallery (there are only two of them) and make it look like part of the form. You can get a little trickier if you want the pictures to scroll with the rest of the form.

• Create a custom card the at least the size of two pictures.
  • Size the gallery and element height including the template size to fit in this.
  • Turn off the gallery scroll bar
  • Paste it into the card.

The screenshot below is actually two signatures, but they are JPGs and in two galleries (Collected) on two custom cards and works fine on iPhones/iPads.

Please let me know how you go.

SignatureCapturepng.png

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CliveMM ,

You can do this with the following:-

• The library has to be a Document Library - not a old type Photo Library
  • Create a column called Thumbnail and format it as Hyperlink or Picture > Picture
  • On a Filtered gallery either directly on the list or on a Collection of the list (collections are much quicker to display, particularly on mobile devices), insert an image control with the Image property ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large.

• Result (Horizontal Gallery) is below (boring photos of power poles) and works well on iPads.

• You can also expand to full screen (another screen) – Image is PhotoList.Selected.'{Thumbnail}'.Large (still fairly good quality  on the device if collected)

iPadPhotos.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more. It also closes the item.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CliveMM ,

Actually, it is an known issue with images stored in SP Library -- Pictures that need authentication on SharePoint are not supported yet in PowerApps Mobile App currently.

As an fixed solution, I think the '{Thumbnail}' property could achieve your needs. On your side, please add a Gallery control in your app, set the Items property to your SP Library. Within the Gallery, set the Image property of the Image control to following:

ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large

or

ThisItem.'Thumbnail ({Thumbnail})'.Large

In addition, please also check and see if the following solutions would help in your scenario:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Apps-Ideas/View-thumbnail-images-of-List-Item-Attachments-...

Please take a try with above solution, check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Thanks @v-xida-msft for confirming the logic in my post.

@CliveMM when you get this working, please accept this as a solution so others can benefit.

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you, it’s good to hear it can be done.  I will test this out and let you know

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you I will try those out

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi there, I have set up the thumbnail columns, and also set the folder to receive the images set up as a Document Library, and images are going in there when the flow I use (which I dont totally understand yet) see attachment runs, but nothing is going into the thumbnail column with this flow, there is a missing link here some where, if you can help me find it I will be most grateful.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CliveMM ,

The solution I posted has no relevance to flows or how the photos get into the gallery. The Thumbnail is a “calculated” column in SharePoint and simply needs the picture filed by whatever process used.

Did you get the images displaying from the Library into the PowerApps image field?

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Thank you for trying to help me. I have put a few screen dumps in the associated word document to help me explain better the issue I am trying to solve.  If you can help me further I would be appreciative.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @CliveMM ,

Firstly the field in SharePoint I have found has to be called Thumbnail or it will not work. Sorry for my lack of clarity (now I read my post, this was not obvious), the Thumbnail field needs to be in the Image Library, not the SharePoint list.

To display the picture in a gallery image control, the Image property simply needs to be ThisItem.'{Thumbnail}'.Large (not the SharePoint URL you have, which should work on PCs, but not on mobile devices due to the way they access SharePoint anonymously}.

If you base the gallery on a Collection, it displays much faster on mobile devices. As you are normally only collecting the photos associated with the item, the collecting is generally very quick.

I have put the questions from your Word document below and will try to answer them as best I can.

I have two thumbnail fields set up a share point list called T1 & T2 set up like this, however I don’t know what to do to associate the field T1 with Image_1_1.jpg and T2 with the other image. 

See note above regarding the field location.

I think this is the missing link, you mentioned a calculated field and I an unsure what this means. So the field contents are blank.I want the image displayed here in an edit screen, whose data source is the same list with the T1 / T2 fields. The example below works on the PA desktop studio but images are blank when its run on am iPhone. I am hoping if I can get the t1/t2 fields populated correctly, I can just change the image property show here to the appropriate T field name.

Firstly, the Calculated field I was referring to was Thumbnail - like any calculated field, the value is created when the image is filed in the Library. For the display, a little more work, but all easily done. One option is to simply display them in a gallery (there are only two of them) and make it look like part of the form. You can get a little trickier if you want the pictures to scroll with the rest of the form.

• Create a custom card the at least the size of two pictures.
  • Size the gallery and element height including the template size to fit in this.
  • Turn off the gallery scroll bar
  • Paste it into the card.

The screenshot below is actually two signatures, but they are JPGs and in two galleries (Collected) on two custom cards and works fine on iPhones/iPads.

Please let me know how you go.

SignatureCapturepng.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,935)