Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PVLove
Helper II
Helper II

SharePoint List Calculated Columns

Hello All!

I have just started working with SharePoint lists in Power Apps.  I'm trying to convert a SP 2007 list with calculated columns into a SharePoint list form in Power Apps and not having much success.  My question is, are SharePoint list's calculated columns not supported in Power Apps, especially from a list created in SP 2007?  Thank you in advance for your assistance!

PVLove

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Looking further at the formulas.  I think you are trying to do something in SharePoint that isn't supported anymore.  You can generate the value of a calculated column using a formula in that column.  But you can't generate a value in another column based on a formula in a calculated column.  And I think that is what you are trying to do.  The way calculated columns work in SharePoint is that the [Next Award Date] column would be a calculated column, not a single line of text.  And it would have a formula like:

=IF(LEN([Hire Date])=10,(CONCATENATE(MID([Hire Date],6,2),"/",RIGHT([Hire Date],2),"/",LEFT([Hire Date],4))),"")

You could also populate the column by using Power Apps to update the value.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

That depends on what you mean by supported.  yes they do show up in Power Apps, but they can be a problem if you try to use them for filtering or sorting.  What problem are you having?

Thank you for the quick response!  The calculated columns are not populating the 'Next Award Date' (a Single line of text column) with the date required for the issuance of a safety award, which are generated at 3-months, 9-months, 15-months, 24-months, 26-months, 48-months & 60-months. The list is functioning as expected in SP 2007, but the formulas are not working in the SharePoint Online list. The formulas for the calculated columns are below. I can send screenshots if you need them.  Thank you for your help and patience.

DisplayNextDate
=IF([Next Award Date]="","",[Next Award Date])

Month
=MID([Next Award Date],6,2)

Year
=LEFT([Next Award Date],4)

HireDateAsDate
=IF(LEN([Hire Date])=10,(CONCATENATE(MID([Hire Date],6,2),"/",RIGHT([Hire Date],2),"/",LEFT([Hire Date],4))),"")

NextAwardDateAsDate
=[Next Award Date]

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Where are you inserting the formulas you list?  Are you putting these into Power Apps?  or into calculated columns in the list?

Hi PStork1,

I have the formulas in the list.  Now, here's the stupid question.  Do I need to put them in Power Apps as well; Power Apps doesn't read them in the form?

PVLove

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Looking further at the formulas.  I think you are trying to do something in SharePoint that isn't supported anymore.  You can generate the value of a calculated column using a formula in that column.  But you can't generate a value in another column based on a formula in a calculated column.  And I think that is what you are trying to do.  The way calculated columns work in SharePoint is that the [Next Award Date] column would be a calculated column, not a single line of text.  And it would have a formula like:

You could also populate the column by using Power Apps to update the value.

View solution in original post

Thank you so very much.  Now I can stop beating my head against the wall.  I will try your suggestion and see if I can make that work.

PVLove

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,259)