cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

SharePoint List Form: Control Visibility

I am seeing a strange behavior in my application. I have 4 forms on my screen.  On these forms are a selection of Data Cards.  Some of which are never visible but used for background code.  Several of these cards have there Visible property set to a debug flag I have, gblDebugMode.  They only show when this flag is set to True.  There are about a dozen of these.  What I am seeing when the app starts, usually after a browser refresh, some of these controls are visible and others are not.  And they all use the same flag.  How is that possible?  On the same theme, I have controls that only show depending on what a variable is set to.  For these controls they are set to Visible = gblTypeSelected = "ABC". The text varies based on the control.  But even if this returns true sometimes the controls do not show. I have the variable values displayed in a Label for testing and they are set appropriately, but still the controls do not show.  What is going on?

I have also noticed where the X/Y, where there are formulas, don't calculate properly and controls that are supposed to be aligned vertically are all drawn at X = 0 overwriting each other.

Any thoughts? Is it the order that I am doing things, setting variables before/after a ResetForm() or ViewForm() call? Here is my order in my OnView():

1. ResetForm()
  2. Load data and set variables
  3. Navigate() to Screen (May or may not already be on the screen depending on how user got here)
  4. ViewForm()

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

@sperry1625 

Try to move the glbDebugMode variable declaration into your App OnStart and see if that at least resolves the issue of those that should only be seen in debug mode.  That might give an indication of where the trouble is coming from.

The OnView action would only occur if you were just Viewing an item in the SharePoint list.  If you were to Edit or create a New, that action would not perform.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

@RandyHayes 

I am aware that OnView() is only called when viewing.  gblDebugMode is set in OnStart() to false, the controls that are shown via the debug flag seemed to have been resolved, at least with the testing I have done.

As for the controls that use a data element value for visibility:

After a browser refresh they seem to work. But if I dismiss a screen and select another record the controls do not show. When inspecting the variable value, it is set correctly.  Just for OnView(), it doesn't work.  If I switch to Edit Mode from the form view the controls then appear.

Super User III
Super User III

@sperry1625 

So you're dealing with variables on those from what you explained ("Visible = gblTypeSelected = "ABC".")

What is gblTypeSelected and where is it defined?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

@RandyHayes 

This worked itself out.  It was a timing and order thing.  When I was setting what variables, etc.  It is working now 99%.  There is still 1% where it is a bit whacky, but I can live with that.

Thanks.

Super User III
Super User III

@sperry1625 
Well, 1% sometimes is not too bad.

The reason I was drilling into the variable is that it was named glbTypeSelected.  It made me wonder if this was being set from some dropdown.  If that was the case, then I would have advised to drop the variable all together and refer to the dropdown (or whatever) instead.

So Visible set to : dropdownORWhatever.Selected.Value = "ABC"

This would skip the variable and avoid any timing issues for data not completely loaded.

That is the case, and I tried what you selected.  When I did that it drastically reduced when the issue occurred, but didn't eliminate it.  Still happened 1 in every 3 or 4 times.  After further re-work and reordering how things were executing, I got it to the 1%.

We will see if it holds.

Thanks.

Super User III
Super User III

@sperry1625 

Well, if it hits 1.1% let's dig deeper 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (22,713)