cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sperry1625
Helper III
Helper III

SharePoint List Form: Lookup Column Display Values

I have a very simple list.  It has a Lookup to another list (Application) and a Name (text) column and Order (Numeric) column.

The Lookup points to another list that has a Name and Description. The Lookup is linked by Name and I pull in the Description.

When I add/edit this list the user selects from the Combo Box for the Lookup. It currently displays all the items in the Lookup list with the Name.  I want it to use the Description.  I know I can add a Label that does a lookup for the description, but would prefer the drop down just displayed the description.  Is there a way to add an additional column to the Combo Box and have it show the Description as the Value instead of the Name?  I'm sure I can change the list definition so Lookup links to Description instead, but I do not want to do that. I have tried adding the Description column from the list to the form but the save doesn't work.

I hope this makes sense to everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @sperry1625 ,

Firstly, I have free-typed this as more of a syntax guide - you will probably get a Delegation warning as well and I suspect you will need a Distinct in there somewhere. It is a collection structure for the Items of the Combo Box

ClearCollect(
   colCombo,
   ShowColumns(
      AddColumns(
         YourList,
         "MyDesc"
            Lookup(
               YourOtherList,
               Name=YourListNameField.Value
         ).Description,
         "MyName",
         YourListNameField.Value
      ),
      "MyName",
      "MyDesc"
   )
)

I might raise another issue for you to consider - LookUp columns and the difficulties they cause - please have a look at this recent video from Shane Young @Shanescows .

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @sperry1625 ,

Firstly, I have free-typed this as more of a syntax guide - you will probably get a Delegation warning as well and I suspect you will need a Distinct in there somewhere. It is a collection structure for the Items of the Combo Box

ClearCollect(
   colCombo,
   ShowColumns(
      AddColumns(
         YourList,
         "MyDesc"
            Lookup(
               YourOtherList,
               Name=YourListNameField.Value
         ).Description,
         "MyName",
         YourListNameField.Value
      ),
      "MyName",
      "MyDesc"
   )
)

I might raise another issue for you to consider - LookUp columns and the difficulties they cause - please have a look at this recent video from Shane Young @Shanescows .

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Hi @sperry1625 ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

PA Community Call

Power Apps Community Call

Next call is happening on April 21st at 8a PST.

MBAS Carousel

May the fourth be with you, join us online!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (58,880)