Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

SharePoint List Title field required

Hello,

I've created a PowerApp that's connected to a SharePoint list.  This list doesn't utilitze the title field and the list is set as a content type, the content type doesn't have title as mandatory and it's hidden.  When I build the app it's showing title as required, so i've set it to false and hidden, yet when I publish my app and use the App from my Iphone, it says that a required field "title" is required. 

I'm not sure how to get around this or why the app is saying it's required when everywhere I check, in the app or the SP list it's not....ideas?

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Re: SharePoint List Title field required

Hi Brandonklittle, 

Just a suggestion since I have been here before. Try to tolerate the title field, since hiding it or even renaming it can come back to cause trouble in several different ways. (Reporting,  xml forms, and as you see- PowerApps.) There is usually some data item that the business usage case can justify stuffing into the title, even if it is just a string of the current date/time to pal around with the data. Remember SP lists are fundamentally records, and though they have hidden record ID's the title is meant to be a way to assist humans who read the list entries. Try to think of it like a "Name/Value" pair or a database record, instead of a number table. (These tools get frustrating very fast, if you try to push the limits.) If you can't allow the text "partner" I would base it on a SQL table. 

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Thanks, I kind of figured that was the case.

I'll see if we can use it and what that looks like.  Renaming the title field would've been an easy solution but also not ideal.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @brandonklittle,

Just as told by @SmartMeter, the title field should be considered as a record identifier.

This field comes with the SharePoint List definition, which is marked as required by default.

However, we could remove the Required tag, which then would have item to update without the Ttile field.

Steps to remove the required tag are as below:

1. If the name of your list or library does not appear on a page, click settings Settings button from SharePoint Online , click Site Contents, and then click the name of your list or library.

2. Click Settings Office 365 Settings button , and then click List Settings or Library Settings.

3. On the List Settings page, in the Columns section, click the Ttile field, which then would naviagte to the column edit page, make sure Require that this column contains information and the Enforce unique values are all set to No:

71.PNG

Tested from my side and it works.

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Life saving advice...thanks!

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

The same situation Error on send Button: "Title: Field required".

Columns in list is OK.

Highlighted

@v-micsh-msft wrote:

Hi @brandonklittle,

Just as told by @SmartMeter, the title field should be considered as a record identifier.

This field comes with the SharePoint List definition, which is marked as required by default.

However, we could remove the Required tag, which then would have item to update without the Ttile field.

Steps to remove the required tag are as below:

1. If the name of your list or library does not appear on a page, click settings Settings button from SharePoint Online , click Site Contents, and then click the name of your list or library.

2. Click Settings Office 365 Settings button , and then click List Settings or Library Settings.

3. On the List Settings page, in the Columns section, click the Ttile field, which then would naviagte to the column edit page, make sure Require that this column contains information and the Enforce unique values are all set to No:

71.PNG

Tested from my side and it works.

Regards,

Michael

I've tried that, but it's still showing as a required field when I edit the New Item form using PowerApps... How do I tell PowerApps it's being stupid and it's not a required field please?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi  Micheal,

I have a strange issue with this title field. I assign the User().FullName but its not taking it. in my list I am not able to see User Full name. I am assigning to Default property in Power Apps

Highlighted

thank you very much it has worked well for me.

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Glad to hear, and much success with Power Apps to you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

August 2020 CYST Challenge

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Users online (4,733)