cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SharePoint List View Threshold

Hi all.
I have a client that wants to use PowerApps to gather data. There will be in excess of 20,000 records a year. My question is will the 5000 list view threshold mean the app will fail or can I get round it with indexing and filtering records in the PowerApp or am I best to use SQL as the data backend.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: SharePoint List View Threshold

@AlanRichards 

You can get around it the 5,000 record limit when FILTER by indexing the column you want to apply the filter on.

Start with SharePoint but consider a move to SQL if you can't overcome these 2 obstacles

1. You need to use functions that can't be delegated in SharePoint such as SEARCH
  2. App performance is not acceptable given the amount of records (there's no hard limit here its just a preference thing).  You can use the performance monitor to time how long queries are taking.

Keep in mind if for SQL every user of the app will require a premium license @ $10 per app or $40 for unlimited apps.

Link To MS Blog Post Verifying My Claim

https://powerapps.microsoft.com/pt-br/blog/powerapps-now-supports-working-with-more-than-256-items-i...

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted

Hi
Thanks for this. I don’t use search in any of my app and try to just use filter.
I suppose my concern is that if the SP list has over 20,000 items will and new item form have any issues adding a new item to the list.
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@AlanRichards
No, there will not be any issue at all.

At some point you may wish to move some records to history to increase performance when querying. You can accomplish this by setting up an identical list and using Flow to move older records automatically.

—-
Please Accept as Solution if this post answered your question so others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,846)