cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Helper III
Helper III

SharePoint List form Using Multiple Lists

I have a business app requirement to use SharePoint Lists as data storage and to customize the SharePoint List forms with Power Apps.  The business does NOT want to use Canvas Apps, they want to maintain the clean user experience provided by SharePoint lists.  The problem I am having is the form needs to Create / View / Update from several listed connected via lookups.  It also needs to write to a separate list for every user action (History Table).

The New Item form must Create entries in 3 tables, Master table, details table (1 to 1 relationship with master), activity table (1 to many relationship with master).

From the user's perspective it needs to appear seamless. From a development perspective I need control of all aspects of the save to ensure data is being properly saved to the lists.  The same applies to the View and Edit forms.

I have not really seen a clear solution to this in my searches. I have seen suggestions to include multiple forms, using Patch, etc. 

I would really appreciate some guidance on this.  Initial thoughts or ideas on how this might work.

Thank you.

Steven Perry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @sperry1625 

In such a scenario, you can add additional data source to the form and perform action on the "OnSuccess" event of the edit form. To write values to different list, you can use the Patch function. If you need more help with the specifics of the formula, please share more details about the app and the schema, so that we might be able to help you better.

As an alternative, you can also build an power automate flow and use when an item is created as a trigger.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @sperry1625 

In such a scenario, you can add additional data source to the form and perform action on the "OnSuccess" event of the edit form. To write values to different list, you can use the Patch function. If you need more help with the specifics of the formula, please share more details about the app and the schema, so that we might be able to help you better.

As an alternative, you can also build an power automate flow and use when an item is created as a trigger.

Hope this Helps!

If this reply has answered your question or solved your issue, please mark this question as answered. Answered questions helps users in the future who may have the same issue or question quickly find a resolution via search. If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up. THANKS!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,035)