Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint Online custom form lookup field error with search enabled

Creating a custom form from a SharePoint online list with a lookup is an issue. The custom form is created with errors on each lookup field. Turning off the "Allow Searching" field resolves the issue but when the lookup contains a lot of entries this makes it very difficult to find the correct entry. Once you enable the "Allow Searching" field an error comes up against the field. Clicking on the error reports that "The function Choices has some invalid arguments". This is reported against a property called .SearchItems of the relevant DataCardValue. There is no SearchItems property available within PowerApps. Can someone help resolve this issue? I consistently come up against issues like this that stop PowerApps custom forms from being usable in a production environment.

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @PH68 ,

Do you mean that your look up field not works good in sharepoint custom form?

I've made a similar test and not met the same problem.

Here's my lookup field combo box's settings for your reference:






 Also, please check the custom form's connection. You not only need to connect with this current list, but also need to connect with the related list.

If the problem still exists, I suggest you delete this field in the form and then reinsert this field.



Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

So, the same is happening for me: I've a SharePoint list (L1) with lookup columns to other lists (L2, L3).

Creating a custom form for this SharePoint list gives me two errors for the automatically generated data cards:


2020-02-23 09_04_46-Teilnehmer on PowerPlatformTest forms - Saved (Unpublished) - Power Apps.png

L2 and L3 are added as data sources. Removing and adding the fields "Teilnehmer" and "Training" does not change anything, unfortunately.


Do you have any other ideas?


I think I recall that this was not an issue in the past ... for now, I'll disable the search functionality, then.

Frequent Visitor

@mschafer85I still don't have a solution for this. I've tried all sorts of things following the original feedback provided and I haven't managed to get my lists to work in the correct way. In our case the main reason to use the customised forms is to provide the search functionality on the dropdowns as the lists being looked up have many hundreds of entries so a simple scrolling list does not work so disabling the search functionality is no solution for me and you're lucky if that's good enough for you. We've completed deleted the customised forms for now until Microsoft can provide a fix for this "out of the box" functionality. Hopefully someone is actually monitoring this and can provide a clear direction as to what is required to resolve this issue if it is in fact something that is within our control to fix.

The fields we're using this on are not multi-select. In this case the SharePoint field is defined to support the selection of a single entry as multiple items would not be valid. So, whether setting the field to multi-select would make it work is going to be an irrelevance to us. See @mschafer85 response as he has very simply replicated what I'm getting. This has to be a bug. The standard custom form initially created by PowerApps SHOULD work out of the box. Without the search functionality added to these dropdowns there is absolutely no benefit to be gained from adding the custom form. I dread to suggest InfoPath was better!

Hi @PH68 ,

That's really strange... I've tested for multiple lists with single lookup field, all of them worked good.

Please check:

1)you've connect your form not only with current list, but also with all the related list

Click "refresh" to make sure that your connection is still valid.

2)My single lookup field's settings:








 I just use the default settings...


If the problem still exists, please open a ticket here:



Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Kudo Kingpin
Kudo Kingpin

I have this exact issue as well. After many days of it working properly, one of my edit form dropdowns popped up with an error that refers to a property I cannot see; .SearchItems

I would imagine this will be a hard bug to find, since it seems to happen with no obvious consistency.

Frequent Visitor

I am having the same issue. This is the only page referring to combobox .SearchItems listed on Google. Must be a bug but I can't get it fixed.

Helpful resources

PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (2,430)