cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
zsolt_dobias_69
New Member

SharePoint field Display Names not working in some apps

Hello, I have discovered a strange issue today.

 

Issue:

So far in two of our apps displaynames such as 'Created by' and 'LookUpField:SomeFieldOfTheLookUp' have stopped being recognised by PowerApps. Instead of 'Created by', I have to use Author and instead of 'LookUpField:SomeFieldOfTheLookUp' I have to use LookUpField_x003_SomeFieldOfTheLookUp.

 

Circumstances:

The same lists work just fine in other applications with the displaynames of the fields.

We have made no modifications to the SharePoint sites involved, the apps were last published on friday (2021. Sept. 10.) and they showed no such errors until this morning (though they might not have been used throughout the weekend).

 

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Why did it appear so randomly?

 

Thank you very much in advance!

 

 

4 REPLIES 4
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @zsolt_dobias_69 ,

Nothing random about it - if you make a collection from a list, 'Created by' becomes Author and _x003_ is the ASCII code for : which in the past was always used for special characters in field names. I would also suggest you keep away from Lookup columns, especially secondary items like your example - you are way better simply doing the lookup in Power Apps.

 

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Nogueira1306
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey! It could have been an update but I don´t think so.

 

Plus. 'Created by'.DisplayName does not work?

 

LookUp should be: LookUp(DataSource, Condition).Person.DisplayName

 

If you need additional help please tag me in your reply and please like my reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, pleased mark it as a solution ✔️!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Nogueira

Check my LinkedIn!

Check my User Group (pt-PT)!

Hi @WarrenBelz, I see, your reply seems logical and thank you very much for the additional information.

However as I stated the field names in the collection used to be 'Created by' for like a whole year up until they very suddenly changed. I was wondering about the reason for this unexpected event.

Also, why should I abondon lookup columns? I always thought that creating links in the backend is much more secure than on the frontend.

Hi @zsolt_dobias_69 ,

I have a blog on data structure that may assist you, but to briefly answer the question on Lookup columns, any complex field type is going to cause you issues and limitations ranging from Delegation to filtering, sorting, grouping and particularly writing to. Lookups are one of the "worst" in that they contain a field (Id) from another list (SharePoint is not a relational database). Your logic might be sound in SQL, but you have to "unlearn" a lot of this. On the reverse, unless you are using SharePoint datasheet views for interfaces, you simply do not need them - I have not used them for many years.

I don't take much notice of that field in any collections I do, but have seen it as Author in the past (not just recently).

 

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,678)