cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianHFASPS
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

SharePoint field / column names?

I am updating an app that works off lists from SharePoint. I imported a new Excel into the SP Site as a list. The column headers are exactly the same. When I swapped the data source refrence my column references broke in my Search commands. Previoulsly I had "field_columnname" like "field_FirstName". On the new list PowerApps is seeing the column names as field1-14 not their names?

BrianHFASPS_0-1662078310602.pngBrianHFASPS_1-1662078322626.png

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BrianHFASPS
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I pushed the Excel sheet from Excel to SharePoint rather than import a saved file from Excel into SharePoint. That method seems to get correct fieldnames in.

I built most of my PowerApps off of Azure SQL before the licensing change apocalypse so dealing with the limited import options on SharePoint confuses me often. No way to import into an existing table is frustrating.

Thanks for your help. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

HI @BrianHFASPS ,

Nothing - you have imported the list from Excel (not a good idea mostly) and have underlying field names of field_xxx. I suggest you export the data, recreate the list with the fiueld names you want, then in Grid View paste it back in (you can do 100 records at a time safely).

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

BrianHFASPS
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

The thing is it works perfectly fine in the gallery refrence to the proper column / fieldnames.

BrianHFASPS_0-1662090380447.png

It is only in the Search() context that the field names are not showing up. Something else is going on.

BrianHFASPS
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I also confirmed my list I made a year ago has the field names that match the column names. I wish I could remember what I did a year ago to import that list.

@BrianHFASPS ,

That is correct - the underlying problem is the "original" field names which are required in certain Power Apps functions. I can assure you what you have is as a result of creating the list from an Excel Table. Honestly if you can, you need to re-create the list or navigate the original field names when you are required to do so.

The "Create from Excel" function is good for SharePoint, but not so much is you are using the List as a data source for Power Apps.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @BrianHFASPS .

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

BrianHFASPS
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I pushed the Excel sheet from Excel to SharePoint rather than import a saved file from Excel into SharePoint. That method seems to get correct fieldnames in.

I built most of my PowerApps off of Azure SQL before the licensing change apocalypse so dealing with the limited import options on SharePoint confuses me often. No way to import into an existing table is frustrating.

Thanks for your help. 

Hi @BrianHFASPS ,

Pushing Excel to SharePoint prevents you (unless it has been fixed) making any integrated apps on the list.

Not an issue for me, just using it as a storage location for PowerApps not doing anything directly in SP with them. SP is free storage access rather than premium for Azure SQL now.

Hi @BrianHFASPS ,

That is good - it was the reason I did not mention it as an option though.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,915)