Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiniMe_83
Helper IV
Helper IV

SharePoint item I.D

Hi,

Is there a way to change the ID number being produced when an item is added to a SharePoint list? We have an older system already producing ID numbers, which is in the 1000s, and I want to continue this sequence with the new SharePoint system.

I have tried creating a column named “Added Number” with a default value set, then created another column named “Reference” which will add my “Added Number” Column and the default “ID” column, using the following formula:

This is very hit and miss.

formula: =SUM([Added Number]+[ID])

Any ideas how to make this stable?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@MiniMe_83 
There is not any way to change the starting ID number of a SharePoint list.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Sharepoint-Online-List-ID-Starting-Point/td-...

You have the right idea when it comes to creating your own reference number column but instead of making a formula in SharePoint you should do it in Power Apps instead.  Include the 'Reference' field in your Edit Form and put this code in the Default property of its text box.  It will calculate the next number in the sequence.

First(Sort(your_sharepoint_list, ID, Descending)).Reference + 1

Then go ahead and create a button to submit the form.

SubmitForm(Form1)

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rsaikrishna
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

@MiniMe_83 

If you did not migrate all your old items to New items, then this question is related to SharePoint Migration.

You can use Sharegate or Context Matrix tools to migrate the SharePoint list items by preserving the List Item IDs but your new SharePoint list should be a NEW list without any items created by you. Item IDs are autogenerated. So, the migration tool options will maintain the Item IDs during migration process.

If you already migrated the SharePoint list items to New SP list, NewID. Write a Power Shell to copy the list item ID value to NewID column. 

From Power App, you can set the NewID with appropriate increment on submitting the form.

Regards

Krishna Rachakonda

If this reply helped you to solve the issue, please mark the post as Accepted SolutionMarking this post as Accepted Solution, will help many other users to use this post to solve same or similar issue without re-posting the issue in the group. Saves a lot of time for everyone.
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@MiniMe_83 
There is not any way to change the starting ID number of a SharePoint list.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Power-Apps/Sharepoint-Online-List-ID-Starting-Point/td-...

You have the right idea when it comes to creating your own reference number column but instead of making a formula in SharePoint you should do it in Power Apps instead.  Include the 'Reference' field in your Edit Form and put this code in the Default property of its text box.  It will calculate the next number in the sequence.

First(Sort(your_sharepoint_list, ID, Descending)).Reference + 1

Then go ahead and create a button to submit the form.

SubmitForm(Form1)

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

@mdevaney 

Im assuming the +1 within the formula is the offset which will compensate and make the ID number I wish to have?

Will give it ago now

@mdevaney 

Not sure whats happened, Ive placed the formula in and as a trial I amended the +1 to +2002 (for testing) and have submitted a few items, the sequence of numbers 2002, 4002, 6002...... Im just looking for the number to continue on. I think I messed this one up 😩

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,609)