cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tris55
Frequent Visitor

SharePoint list "Power Apps" > "Customize forms" menu option missing

Hi all,

I have recently created three lists in SharePoint and would now like to customise the forms related to each list. However, the button is unavailable, and I cannot find a way to manually create the customised form in Power Apps.

I have checked the similar posts on this forum, including those that point back to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/customize-list-form

The specific note from the above link does not seem to apply, I only have data types that the page says Power Apps supports:

• If the Customize forms option isn't available or doesn't work correctly for your list, it might contain data types that Power Apps doesn't support. Also, you can't move your form to a different list or environment.

The lists have been created by migrating existing data via Excel, using the Excel tool: "Table Design" tab > Export > "Export Table to SharePoint List...", I have then made changes, adding Lookup columns and calculated columns to each list.

List of columns from one of the lists:

List columnsList columns

Is anyone able to help me understand why I cannot customise the forms for these lists? I have other lists on the same site that do have the option available. I have tried copying the list (or at least the columns) and removing the lookup columns, to no avail.

I would like users to edit the data via SharePoint, not via an app, so the Power Apps edited form is much preferred to a Power Apps canvas App.

Many thanks in advance for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @tris55 ,

As far as I know, there is no direct solution (I would have used it by now if there was one).

However you might try (in SharePoint List Settings) "Save as Template" with "include data" then create a new list using this Template. This will also bring in all views and other field definition.

A step back from this would be to create a view with all fields, export it to Excel and then adding an app as I described in my original post. 

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

It is possible your list is using the classic experience. Go to the list settings and advanced settings and make sure the New experience is selected. You could also check the Form settings on the list settings page and see if you have the link called "Customize in PowerApps"? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply. The "List experience" was set to "Default experience for the site", which is the new experience; I tried changing it to "New experience" with no change.

When I click on the "Form Settings" on the list settings page I only get the below:

9WyJk7r

Any other ideas or info I can share?

Thanks,

Tristan

Hi @tris55 ,

Did you create this list by exporting from Excel (or Access) by some chance? If so, what you are experiencing happens. If you go the other way and use "Create App" then "Import Spreadsheet", you will be able to make a customised Power Apps form (the option will become available).

I have an old legacy list exactly the same.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @WarrenBelz 

I did, I used the Excel function from the "Table Design" tab > Export > "Export Table to SharePoint List...".

Unfortunately, I've since completed significant updates to the data, adding linked columns and updating over 13000 items across the lists, and made various other changes to the lists that I'm reluctant to lose by importing the old data again via a different method.

Do you, or anyone else, know of a way I can update whatever setting that exporting from excel has set, so that I can use PowerApps to customise the form? I am open to ideas such as copying the lists as they are now, if that will help, I just don't want to lose the days of work I've already done if I can at all help it.

Many thanks for confirming that the export from Excel seems to be part of the problem Warren.

Hi @tris55 ,

As far as I know, there is no direct solution (I would have used it by now if there was one).

However you might try (in SharePoint List Settings) "Save as Template" with "include data" then create a new list using this Template. This will also bring in all views and other field definition.

A step back from this would be to create a view with all fields, export it to Excel and then adding an app as I described in my original post. 

Hi Warren, many thanks - you've been a big help.

Unfortunately, in my SharePoint the "Save as Template" option is missing in the list settings, it seems to be deliberate on my version of SharePoint.

I tried exporting all fields to excel, and reimporting in the method you described and I do indeed get the "Customise forms" option in the PowerApps menu, but I lose all of my lookup fields (they import as single lines of text) and various other formatted columns.

Is there a way I can formally log this with Microsoft directly to see what their response is? At this point it seems like a bug, with a relatively simple back-end solution (albeit one that we don't have access to).

Thanks again.

tris55
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

So I tried a few other workarounds, including creating the PowerApps app form for a list that would work, then deleting that list and renaming my list to use the same name (and hence URL), but this didn't work as the form must also store the uniqueID of the list somewhere as well.

In the end, I bit the bullet and did what @WarrenBelz said, exported my current list to excel, then reimported using the "New" > "App" > "Import Spreadsheet" function with the IE browser. Cue 4/5 hours of updating lookup fields and calculated values and I'm back where I started, but crucially with the ability to update the forms with PowerApps.

Thanks for your help.

HI @tris55 ,

Can I offer you another piece of advice - why are you using Lookup fields? This is a good video from Shane Young @Shanescows on the subject. Unless you want your users to have access to SharePoint Data Sheet edit views, all these do is cause huge amounts of completely unnecessary complication. I suggest you leave the fields at Single Line of Text and do the Lookup in Power Apps.

The same for Calculated fields - do them in Power Apps and write back to Numeric fields.

As an added bonus, queries on these are now completely delegable (neither Lookup nor Calculated are).

If you have five minutes, this blog of mine on Delegation may be of interest to you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on August 17, 2022 at 8am PDT.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Users online (1,647)