cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advocate I
Advocate I

SharePoint unique ID column

I want to create an App to put data into 2 SharePoint lists - a parent and a child list.  Coming from a SQL background I want to create an ID on the parent list. 

As records will be created on the App I think I should use a text column and store a GUID in there.  The parent GUID will be referenced by the child list.  I plan on using the PowerApps GUID function.

Is this the correct way to achieve this?  

4 REPLIES 4
Super User III
Super User III

You can also use the identity column:

https://sharepointmaven.com/how-to-add-a-unique-identifier-to-a-sharepoint-list-or-library/

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

Hi @HarjitSamra 

I am not sure whether this is the same thing as @eka24 , but SharePoint already has an ID column and it is automatically assigned whenever a new record is created. It meets the criteria of being unique and is not reused if the record is deleted.  It is generally hidden by default but can be referenced by Powerapps controls in Formulas such as Lookup(yourlist, ID = Dropdown1.Selected.ID, someothercolumn).  Of course, that doesn't prevent you from creating your own GUID. There is also an advantage to having a separate "shadow" ID column.  The SharePoint ID column, while it is a number, can only use the  "=" operator and is prevented from using >, <, operators, while a separate number Shadow ID column can use those functions for grouping lists.

Helper I
Helper I

I'm using Sharepoint lists extensively, with a UniqueID column for various records. 

I've found that using this ensure that I update the correct record at the right time. The only thing is it required getting your head around the fact that something like a CompanyName (I use this in a contacts list) contains and ID and Value:

CompanyName(
{Id = 1,

Value = 'A Company Ltd'} )

Once you get your head around it it works tremendously

Super User II
Super User II

Hi @HarjitSamra 

I avoid all lookup, calculation, yes/no, choice type columns as these are better handled within PowerApps.  I only use single line of text, number and date/time columns for all of my apps. The reason for this is discussed in my blog post on Keys https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Relational-Database-Principles-and-PowerApps-... 

Helpful resources

Announcements
News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call- January

Mark your calendars and join us for the next Power Apps Community Call on January 20th, 8a PST

PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,141)