Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RobThrive Helper I
Helper I

Sharepoint App - One dropdown-column drives a 2nd column/field

Hello,

First post and new to Power Apps + Sharepoint, apologies if it's a silly question.

I have a sharepoint list, lots of columns but two of them are Target Name and Target Description, both are drop down menus for the user to select

In sharepoint I could not find a way to map/link/tie them together so if the user select Target1 from the Target Name, then the corrosponding Target Description populates automagically in the next field, no user input allowed on that 2nd field. (at later date I might need to remap to new descriptions if the organisation requires)

I was wondering if it is possible to do something similar in the PowerApp (form)?

I am thinking I can put the Target Name in the Target Description (it'll be the first 8 characters for each description). Is it possible for the user to select the drop down for Target Name, and then the field/label/something for Target Description says "if the first 8 chars of target description = the target name that the user selected, show this description"?

I hope that makes sense. I'm trying to seperate the Name & Description because the description is very long. Users adding the data will be familiar with the name, but others in meetings would like to have access to the descriptions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RobThrive Helper I
Helper I

Re: Sharepoint App - One dropdown-column drives a 2nd column/field

Ah-ha! 💡

Just noticed the "depends on" option for the drop down selections. I've now created a seperate list (actually SQL table) containing names and descriptions and this is currently restricted 1-to-1 ratio but in the future allows me to map multiple descriptions to one name.

RobThrive_0-1572347666972.png

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
RobThrive Helper I
Helper I

Re: Sharepoint App - One dropdown-column drives a 2nd column/field

Ah-ha! 💡

Just noticed the "depends on" option for the drop down selections. I've now created a seperate list (actually SQL table) containing names and descriptions and this is currently restricted 1-to-1 ratio but in the future allows me to map multiple descriptions to one name.

RobThrive_0-1572347666972.png

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Gallery 2020

MBAS Gallery 2020

Watch Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions on-demand.

firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Apps Community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,484)