cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KProuty
Advocate II
Advocate II

Sharepoint Choice Field with multiple selections or pick list, not supported. Workaround?

I've got a pick list of 12 that I'd really like to work in a Powerapp. Any smart workarounds since this doesn't seem to be supported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am beginning to see the problem.  Basically you have a lookup field and you want multiple selects in SharePoint and to use that field in PowerApps.

Frankly lookup fileds with multiple selections is always going to give problems in interfacing with other systems.

The way to work around is to have another "linkage" table (not sure what the technical term is) whereby it provides the multiple links between the two main tables.

Let me give you an example from my work.  We have two tables; Transactions and Invoices.  Any one transaction could be related to zero, one or multiple invoices (if for example you settle two or more invoices with one bank transaction).

There are two ways to link the invoices to the transactions:

1. A lookup field in the Transactions table that gets its values from the Invoices table and has multiple selects
  2. Create a third table called TransactionsToInvoices that simply has two lookup fields as follows:
    1. One lookup to the Transactions table
    2. One lookup to the Invoices table

I am sure that by now you have guessed that 1. will not work with PowerApps (and a lot of other stuff) while 2. will be a little more fiddly at the start but will work with everything.

Please let me know if everything is clear so far or not, and if you need help to go further.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi KProuty, this is Steelman but I changed names.

One quick suggestion is to change the choice field into a lookup.  That should work with any number of items.

In any case I think the choice field should also work.

Or maybe I misunderstand your problem, could you give some hints as to how to reproduce it?

Thanks

Why did you change your name? Steelman rocks, and you have been a HUGE help!

Anyhow, see this: https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/tutorials/connection-sharepoint-online/

Sharepoint doesn't support choice fields or lookups with multiple selects. I guess I could make each choice a drop down but I was hoping there was a more elegant solution, since there are twelve possibilities. If not, then I guess I'll have to go the hard, arduous way...

Moreover, PowerApps doesn't support columns that support multiple values or selections.
For Lookup columns, the Allow multiple values checkbox must be cleared.

For Managed Metadata columns, the Allow multiple values checkbox must be cleared.

For Person or Group columns, the No option under Allow multiple selections must be selected."

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am beginning to see the problem.  Basically you have a lookup field and you want multiple selects in SharePoint and to use that field in PowerApps.

Frankly lookup fileds with multiple selections is always going to give problems in interfacing with other systems.

The way to work around is to have another "linkage" table (not sure what the technical term is) whereby it provides the multiple links between the two main tables.

Let me give you an example from my work.  We have two tables; Transactions and Invoices.  Any one transaction could be related to zero, one or multiple invoices (if for example you settle two or more invoices with one bank transaction).

There are two ways to link the invoices to the transactions:

1. A lookup field in the Transactions table that gets its values from the Invoices table and has multiple selects
  2. Create a third table called TransactionsToInvoices that simply has two lookup fields as follows:
    1. One lookup to the Transactions table
    2. One lookup to the Invoices table

I am sure that by now you have guessed that 1. will not work with PowerApps (and a lot of other stuff) while 2. will be a little more fiddly at the start but will work with everything.

Please let me know if everything is clear so far or not, and if you need help to go further.

Meneghino
Community Champion
Community Champion

PS I work for a steel company for now, but you never know...

Thanks so much! I'm going to mull this over and I'll get back if I need help...

@KProuty, currently, the Multi-select Choice in the SharePoint list is still not supported in PowerApps. You can open one suggestion in the Ideas forum.

I will accept @Meneghino's reply as a solution on behalf of you, once you still have further questions, please post back.

Ryball
Frequent Visitor

Is is posible if you guys could post an exaple of the filter to use on alternative 2 ? 

I have 3 list , 1 that has a lookupfield to the 2 other list .

Based on choise of list 1 i whant to filter list 3 using list 2 as my multi choise allternative workaround.

Br

Raymond

Bakr
Regular Visitor

Hi guys, 

I had the same issues, to passby the multiple choice problem in powerapps, you need to creat a new calculated column and put its it'ss value equal to the multiple choice column. For instance if you want to link power apps to a multiple choice column A, you will need to create a calculated column B and put the value of B as [A]. B value will be supported by PowerApps.

Hope this helps,

Anonymous
Not applicable

But you can't refer to a multiple choice column in a formula column, can you..?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (4,133)