Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hello,

My title maybe nebulous, but here is what i'm trying to achieve :

I have a custom Sharepoint List, which is used for carpooling.

Instead of a Search textbox, I would like to allow my user to filter the BrowseGallery items, with values picked from the List itself. For example, I would like to be able to filter my results by Departure Site (in the Filter dropdown, i would like to have every DepartureSite already entered in my list)

So, first question is :

- How to populate Dropdowns control with alreay existing information ?
I mean, I tried to add a dropdown in my BrowseScreen and write "DepartureSite" in the Items field... But PowerApps get me a "invalid name" error. Because (i Think), the dropdown control is outside my BrowseGallery. But i can't move it ! (see screenshot attached)

- Then, when this is done, I have quite the same question : How to populate another Dropdown with every already existing Departure Date that drivers already picked ?

- Finally, how to filter my BrowseGallery when the Dropdown changes ? I am not sure that will be automatic with the Items field.. Do i have to add (something like) a Filter('MyList';departureDate=DepartureDateFilter.Selected;departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Value) to my  onChange on my dropdown field ?

What i tried :

lots of thigs. I even tried with Dropdown Zone, but unfortunately it seems that it can't handle Date nor Choices already.

Sorry to be unclear, please ask me if i'm explaining myself wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hi @Gaëlle,

Could you please share a bit more about your SP list data source within your app?

Are the Departure Site and the Departure Date both columns within your SharePint list?

I think there is something wrong with the formula that you provided within the Items property of the Drop down control.

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:6.JPG

The Items property of the first Drop down control (Dropdown1, on your side, it is DepartureSiteFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Site)

The Items property of the second Drop down control (Dropdown2, on your side, it is DepartureDateFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Date)

Note: The '20180620_case13' represents the SP list data source within your app. The Departure Site is a Single line of text type column in my SP list, on your side, it is departureSite. The Departure Date is a Date type column (Date Only) in my SP list, on your side, it is departureDate.

The Items property of the Gallery control within my screen set to following formula:

Filter('20180620_case13',
Departure_x0020_Site=Dropdown1.Selected.Value&&Departure_x0020_Date=Text(Dropdown2.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

On your side, type the following formula:

Filter('MyList',
departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&departureDate=Text(DepartureDateFilter.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

More details about the Drop down control within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Drop down control

More details about the Distinct function, please check the following article:

Distinct function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hi @Gaëlle,

Could you please share a bit more about your SP list data source within your app?

Are the Departure Site and the Departure Date both columns within your SharePint list?

I think there is something wrong with the formula that you provided within the Items property of the Drop down control.

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:6.JPG

The Items property of the first Drop down control (Dropdown1, on your side, it is DepartureSiteFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Site)

The Items property of the second Drop down control (Dropdown2, on your side, it is DepartureDateFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Date)

Note: The '20180620_case13' represents the SP list data source within your app. The Departure Site is a Single line of text type column in my SP list, on your side, it is departureSite. The Departure Date is a Date type column (Date Only) in my SP list, on your side, it is departureDate.

The Items property of the Gallery control within my screen set to following formula:

Filter('20180620_case13',
Departure_x0020_Site=Dropdown1.Selected.Value&&Departure_x0020_Date=Text(Dropdown2.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

On your side, type the following formula:

Filter('MyList',
departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&departureDate=Text(DepartureDateFilter.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

More details about the Drop down control within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Drop down control

More details about the Distinct function, please check the following article:

Distinct function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Thanks a lot @v-xida-msft,

You gave me good hints to solve my proble m!

So, finally for DepartureDate ,I chose a DatePicker, and I solved my Dropdown issue with the Distinct. I even could add my filter.

Here are the formulas :

DepartureDateFilter is a DatePicker. No formula on it.

DepartureSiteFIlter is a simple DropDown. in the Items field, here is my formula :

Distinct(MyList;DepartureSite.Value)

Explanation : DepartureSite is a dropdown column in my MyList list.

On my BrowseGallery's Items field, I have the following :

Filter('MyList';DepartureSite.Value=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&DateTimeValue(Text(DepartureDate)) = DateTimeValue(Text(DepartureDateFilter.SelectedDate)))

So, problem Solved !

But do you have any idea on how to display all items in my list, by default ? And it will only be filtered if my user select the dates/site ?

Thanks a lot again !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,044)