Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper V
Helper V

Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hello,

My title maybe nebulous, but here is what i'm trying to achieve :

I have a custom Sharepoint List, which is used for carpooling.

Instead of a Search textbox, I would like to allow my user to filter the BrowseGallery items, with values picked from the List itself. For example, I would like to be able to filter my results by Departure Site (in the Filter dropdown, i would like to have every DepartureSite already entered in my list)

So, first question is :

- How to populate Dropdowns control with alreay existing information ?
I mean, I tried to add a dropdown in my BrowseScreen and write "DepartureSite" in the Items field... But PowerApps get me a "invalid name" error. Because (i Think), the dropdown control is outside my BrowseGallery. But i can't move it ! (see screenshot attached)

- Then, when this is done, I have quite the same question : How to populate another Dropdown with every already existing Departure Date that drivers already picked ?

- Finally, how to filter my BrowseGallery when the Dropdown changes ? I am not sure that will be automatic with the Items field.. Do i have to add (something like) a Filter('MyList';departureDate=DepartureDateFilter.Selected;departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Value) to my  onChange on my dropdown field ?

What i tried :

lots of thigs. I even tried with Dropdown Zone, but unfortunately it seems that it can't handle Date nor Choices already.

Sorry to be unclear, please ask me if i'm explaining myself wrong.

Thanks a lot for your help !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hi @Gaëlle,

Could you please share a bit more about your SP list data source within your app?

Are the Departure Site and the Departure Date both columns within your SharePint list?

I think there is something wrong with the formula that you provided within the Items property of the Drop down control.

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:6.JPG

The Items property of the first Drop down control (Dropdown1, on your side, it is DepartureSiteFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Site)

The Items property of the second Drop down control (Dropdown2, on your side, it is DepartureDateFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Date)

Note: The '20180620_case13' represents the SP list data source within your app. The Departure Site is a Single line of text type column in my SP list, on your side, it is departureSite. The Departure Date is a Date type column (Date Only) in my SP list, on your side, it is departureDate.

The Items property of the Gallery control within my screen set to following formula:

Filter('20180620_case13',
Departure_x0020_Site=Dropdown1.Selected.Value&&Departure_x0020_Date=Text(Dropdown2.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

On your side, type the following formula:

Filter('MyList',
departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&departureDate=Text(DepartureDateFilter.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

More details about the Drop down control within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Drop down control

More details about the Distinct function, please check the following article:

Distinct function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint List : Dropdowns populated with List elements to filter list Items

Hi @Gaëlle,

Could you please share a bit more about your SP list data source within your app?

Are the Departure Site and the Departure Date both columns within your SharePint list?

I think there is something wrong with the formula that you provided within the Items property of the Drop down control.

I have made a test on my side and don't have the issue that you mentioned. The screenshot as below:6.JPG

The Items property of the first Drop down control (Dropdown1, on your side, it is DepartureSiteFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Site)

The Items property of the second Drop down control (Dropdown2, on your side, it is DepartureDateFilter) set to following formula:

Distinct('20180620_case13',Departure_x0020_Date)

Note: The '20180620_case13' represents the SP list data source within your app. The Departure Site is a Single line of text type column in my SP list, on your side, it is departureSite. The Departure Date is a Date type column (Date Only) in my SP list, on your side, it is departureDate.

The Items property of the Gallery control within my screen set to following formula:

Filter('20180620_case13',
Departure_x0020_Site=Dropdown1.Selected.Value&&Departure_x0020_Date=Text(Dropdown2.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

On your side, type the following formula:

Filter('MyList',
departureSite=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&departureDate=Text(DepartureDateFilter.Selected.Value,"[$-en-US]mm/dd/yyyy")
)

More details about the Drop down control within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Drop down control

More details about the Distinct function, please check the following article:

Distinct function

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helper V
Helper V

Thanks a lot @v-xida-msft,

You gave me good hints to solve my proble m!

So, finally for DepartureDate ,I chose a DatePicker, and I solved my Dropdown issue with the Distinct. I even could add my filter.

Here are the formulas :

DepartureDateFilter is a DatePicker. No formula on it.

DepartureSiteFIlter is a simple DropDown. in the Items field, here is my formula :

Distinct(MyList;DepartureSite.Value)

Explanation : DepartureSite is a dropdown column in my MyList list.

On my BrowseGallery's Items field, I have the following :

Filter('MyList';DepartureSite.Value=DepartureSiteFilter.Selected.Value&&DateTimeValue(Text(DepartureDate)) = DateTimeValue(Text(DepartureDateFilter.SelectedDate)))

So, problem Solved !

But do you have any idea on how to display all items in my list, by default ? And it will only be filtered if my user select the dates/site ?

Thanks a lot again !

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020

Check out these cool Power Apps & vote on your favorite!

secondImage

Robotic Process Automation

Let's talk about the solution provided by Microsoft for Robotic Process Automation (RPA)

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,469)