cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Sharepoint Title Column

I'd like to know what are you are all doing with that "Title" column in your Sharepoint lists?

• Some people change the "Title" column display name in PowerApps & Sharepoint and use it for something else
    • I'm a little nervous this will confuse future developers if I ever hand the app off
  • Some people turn it into a unique ID by setting the "Title" to equal "Item-ID" in their PowerApp
    • This seems cool except I think "Item-ID" is a long number
  • Some people turn it into an incrementing number
    • This seems to work well. 
  • Some people just make it not required and hide it. 

What are you all doing with the Title column?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ericonline,

Your issue is actually a SharePoint issue, not related to PowerApps. If you have further questions about SharePoint, please post in TechNet SharePoint community instead of PowerApps. Here is the link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home

By default, all SharePoint lists have a column called Title, which is a ‘Single line of text’ and Required column. If you don’t want to use it, you can pull a veil over it, though you can’t actually delete it.  You can also rename it and use it differently, but keep in mind that the underlying column will always be called @Title, which can get confusing if you’re doing anything in SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio.About how to do this, please refer to:

http://sympmarc.com/2009/04/21/hiding-the-title-column-in-a-sharepoint-list/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ericonline,

Your issue is actually a SharePoint issue, not related to PowerApps. If you have further questions about SharePoint, please post in TechNet SharePoint community instead of PowerApps. Here is the link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sharepoint/en-US/home

By default, all SharePoint lists have a column called Title, which is a ‘Single line of text’ and Required column. If you don’t want to use it, you can pull a veil over it, though you can’t actually delete it.  You can also rename it and use it differently, but keep in mind that the underlying column will always be called @Title, which can get confusing if you’re doing anything in SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio.About how to do this, please refer to:

http://sympmarc.com/2009/04/21/hiding-the-title-column-in-a-sharepoint-list/

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

In my case when using PowerApps and SPO, the Title field is marked with *, even though it is hidden in SP views. Without the PowerApp, I'm able to add a new item, however that's not the case when using the PowerApp.

Any thoughts?

Highlighted

Maybe you made the Title column not required during the same PowerApps editing session?

You might try refreshing the SPO data source. View/Data Sources, Click 3 dots next to your SPO list name, Refresh.

Maybe also try removing the Title column from your Form if you’re not using it.

Also check the Titles Required Property in PowerApps. Ensure it’s set to false.

Good luck!
Highlighted

In PowerApps, on the EditForm screen, is it safe to make the Title field Hidden? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,510)