cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint document library

Hi,

I am a beginner to power apps. My problem is that I have a SharePoint document library and I would like to share folders (a collection of documents) and keep track of comments with a timestamp and user. Since comments on a folder with these logging requirements are not supported on sharepoint, I was thinking of creating a powerapp which will allow me to share a folder and keep track of comments,timestamp and user in a custom column. Is this possible first of all and is it a good solution?  Also are there good tutorials online that can get me started to connect a powerapp with a document library and access column data and user data?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint document library

Hi @Kind ,

Do you want to create an app about updating comments on file in sharepoint library?

If so, here's my advice:

1)create a sharepoint library to upload files

2)create a sharepoint list to record comments for these files with these fields:

a multiple line of text column :record comments

a lookup field(lookup to the ID in  sharepoint library): choose related file

(No need to add person field and time field, there will be metadata fields: Created, Created By)

3)in your app

connect with this list and this library

(Please notice that you could only view column data of library in powerapps, you could not view file content in powerapps)

insert gallery1, set its Items: libraryname

insert gallery2, set its items:

Filter(listname,lookupfielname.Value=Gallery1.Selected.ID)

//then gallery2 will only display the comments for the selected file

insert "+" button, set its OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen2);NewForm(Form1)

set the arrow button's OnSelect inside gallery2:

Navigate(Screen2);EditForm(Form1)

//if you want to create new comments, click the "+" button, if you want to edit comments, click the arrow button in gallery2

4213.PNG

in screen2, insert an edit form

set the form's data source to your list name

set the form's Item to : Gallery2.Selected

insert a submit button, set its OnSelect:

SubmitForm(Form1);ResetForm(Form1);Back()

After you enter data in this form, click the submit button. You will submit the comments and back to the gallery screen.

4214.PNG

The key point of your issue is to create a lookup field in your list and create an app connected with list and doc.

Then filter comments based on selected file. Then is the part about the integration of gallery, edit form.

These docs may help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/connections/connection-sharepoint-onlin...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-forms

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Sharepoint document library

Hi @Kind ,

Do you want to create an app about updating comments on file in sharepoint library?

If so, here's my advice:

1)create a sharepoint library to upload files

2)create a sharepoint list to record comments for these files with these fields:

a multiple line of text column :record comments

a lookup field(lookup to the ID in  sharepoint library): choose related file

(No need to add person field and time field, there will be metadata fields: Created, Created By)

3)in your app

connect with this list and this library

(Please notice that you could only view column data of library in powerapps, you could not view file content in powerapps)

insert gallery1, set its Items: libraryname

insert gallery2, set its items:

Filter(listname,lookupfielname.Value=Gallery1.Selected.ID)

//then gallery2 will only display the comments for the selected file

insert "+" button, set its OnSelect:

Navigate(Screen2);NewForm(Form1)

set the arrow button's OnSelect inside gallery2:

Navigate(Screen2);EditForm(Form1)

//if you want to create new comments, click the "+" button, if you want to edit comments, click the arrow button in gallery2

4213.PNG

in screen2, insert an edit form

set the form's data source to your list name

set the form's Item to : Gallery2.Selected

insert a submit button, set its OnSelect:

SubmitForm(Form1);ResetForm(Form1);Back()

After you enter data in this form, click the submit button. You will submit the comments and back to the gallery screen.

4214.PNG

The key point of your issue is to create a lookup field in your list and create an app connected with list and doc.

Then filter comments based on selected file. Then is the part about the integration of gallery, edit form.

These docs may help you:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/connections/connection-sharepoint-onlin...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/working-with-forms

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,408)