Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GakinImara
Advocate I
Advocate I

Sharepoint forms item-level permission with PowerApps

Hi, guys!

TLDR: Using Sharepoint PowerApps forms to display list items, also setting item-level permission through a power automate flow. By design I do not want users to have Sharepoint-site access to the lists itself and only item-level. When they navigate to the specific item (which is granted by item-level permission through Power Automate), they get an error when the forms app is loaded: "This app isn’t opening correctly It looks like you don’t have access to this app. Ask its owner to share it with you".

Background (details below of what we want to achieve):

I've created a Sharepoint list ('Oppgaver') forms where we are mimicking a to-do list for a group of people.

The idea behind this is that the manager(delegator) simply has full access to the whole list where this is his view (the only person that is a member of the specific site):

GakinImara_1-1620291368463.png

And the rest of the users (task-handlers) will only be able to see their items (item-level permission) as long as they have been assigned to the person-column "Ansvarlig".

This means that whenever a task-handler tries to open the link and navigates out of the item and to the manager-restricted list itself, they will only see their own assigned/permitted items only:

GakinImara_2-1620292171515.png

GakinImara_4-1620294509072.png

So far so good, but as soon as we activate the PowerApps forms it seems that the app's permission settings are inherited by the list/site-permission rather than item-level permission set by the Power Automate delegation-flow; they get this error during PowerApps load:

GakinImara_1-1620300914385.png

Are there any workaround to make the PowerApps forms not inheriting the permissions based on the Sharepoint list, but instead be based off the list-item permission set by the existing Power Automate flow trigger? 

Suggestions, links and articles are greatly appreciated to guide me!

Br, Ga Kin

Edit: Changed title to reflect the specific issue with Sharepoint forms item-level permissions including a Power App.

5 REPLIES 5
GakinImara
Advocate I
Advocate I

(Update) as a temporary workaround:

I've made the list available (edit-access) to members in a specific group and created a custom default filter for the list, to filter the list-items only displaying [Me]. This way, the PowerApps forms will be available for the users to edit the items, and when trying to navigate back to the list - the view will be filtered (but unfortunately not restricted if they happen to change the filter view).

Caryn
Regular Visitor

Hi @GakinImara 

Did you ever find a solution here? I am having the same issue.

Thank you

Caryn

Hi, @Caryn !

Unfortunately, no... Instead I made a default list-view in my Sharepoint List for users in general, which only showed items that was tagging themselves from a specific column.

A temporary solution involving changing the SharePoint list filter. But they will still be able to see the other items not assigned to them if they are changing the list filter view in the future:

GakinImara_0-1642593760888.png

I cannot remember the syntax for the filtering since this was done on a customers tenant, but you might be able to find the right syntax if you search for it online. it was something with "[@me]"...

GakinImara
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hello again @Caryn. I noticed that @RezaDorrani have shared a new tutorial that might be touching abit on the subject to resolve this (I've only been scrambling through the video) - the next best thing is that  you have an additional Power Automate flow that tracks any list item changes, with an action that just updates the permission right to the specific item to the assigned users:

Power Apps SharePoint List Security | Item Level Permissions & Folder Security with Power Automate -...

Wonderful thank you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,039)