cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kelley
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint list Calculated column result to update powerapp

Please can someone help me... I would like my PowerApps to display the result from a SharePoint calculated column. 

There are so many forums about "PowerApps updating SharePoint list" but I want it in reverse "SharePoint list to update PowerApps". 

I am new to PowerApps and have managed so far to build:

1. SharePoint list with Cascading lists "Delegation" & "Type" and multiple calculated columns. (When using the SharePoint list 'New' button it all works great. But I would like to use the App to collect the data so that the SharePoint list is not viewable by the user).

2. One calculated column is called 'Decision' which remains empty until the flow (step 4) has been successful. 

3. The App has been updated to allow hidden fields (depending on the cascading list results) and all info obtained from the App is then updated/submitted into the SharePoint list.   (this works great so far)

4. Once the data is in the SharePoint list (via the App) the Flow commences, "When a SharePoint item is created - look up excel file - Update SharePoint item".  (Items include "Delegation - Value" and "Types - Value" because calculated columns do not allow cascading columns to be used in their calculations so a flow is used to derive the value from them).  (this works great so far)

5. Results from the Flow updates the SharePoint list and then the Decision column is calculated (last column to be updated) (this works great so far)

6. When the SharePoint list column 'Decision' is calculated with the result of either "Approved" or "Declined", I want the result to display in my App.  - this is where I am stuck. 

I have tried a number of things to get the "Approved" or "Declined" result into my App and none of them work. Here are the things I have tried without success:

1. Flow created from PowerApps - Set(Datafromflow,'PowerApps-Update'.Run())

2. DataCardValue - however this shows the result "Approved" or "Declined" from the previously created SharePoint list item

Please can someone help me.
@Drrickryp  @v-qiaqi-msft @Jitendra_jangid @KrishnaV 

1 REPLY 1
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

@Kelley ,

Can I please give you a piece of advice - do not use SharePoint calculated columns in Power Apps. You can do exactly the same calculation in Power Apps (you have the list item at your disposal) and completely do without all the limitations and pain (as you are experiencing) they bring. I have a blog on data structure that may be useful to you if you are starting out in Power Apps.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Power Apps June 2021

June Power Apps Community Call

Don't miss the call this month on June 16th - 8a PDT

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (89,855)