cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chicago1919
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint list form - customize form vs. Canvas App

Hello all,

I am very new to PowerApps.  Currently, we are looking to replace our on prem Sharepoint with Sharepoint Online and thus I am looking to recreate forms we currently have on prem, in PowerApps.  I see there are basically 2 options, using "customize form" in Sharepoint and creating Canvas Apps.  Can someone tell me what the difference between the 2 options are?  I've seen that access is different - custom form would use a link to the form directly in SP; Canvas app can be accessed via the web or via the PowerApps mobile app.  As our users are used to using a link to the Sharepoint form now, I'm leaning on just going that route.  Also, I don't know if our users would get a warm and fuzzy by going to an app that isn't custom to our site and is generically called PowerApps.

Any reason why I might NOT go the SP custom form route and instead choose to create Canvas Apps for SP?  Are the licensing requirements different between the 2 or do both require the same Office 365 license (if premium connectors aren't used)?  I see so many resources on creating Canvas apps vs. the custom SP form which makes me wonder if I should go the Canvas App route due to possible limitations in the custom SP forms?  Looking for path of least resistance also.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thank you!

Christine

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Chicago1919 ,

People could use canvas apps in browsers via a link. Please refer to below doc to see how to share an app with others:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app

After shared the app, users could access the app in browsers via the share-link in the emails sent to them or you copied from Power Apps Portal (make.powerapps.com) and sent to them. If the user have a power apps license, which is necessary for running an app, he will be able to go to Power Apps Portal and see all the apps that shared with and created by him. In power apps mobile app, users could see all the apps as they would when going to Power Apps Portal.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Akash17
Helper I
Helper I

According to me basically when you select Customize forms It means your are creating Customized list PowerApps and other option that you are talking about the 2nd option will create standalone application 

Chicago1919
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your response!  How does the user experience differ though?  Only that the standalone app can be accessed via the mobile app?  If a Canvas App, how would users get to the app on a computer?  Do they have to go to powerapps.com to access it or is there another way?  Direct link?

Best,

Christine

Hi @Chicago1919 ,

People could use canvas apps in browsers via a link. Please refer to below doc to see how to share an app with others:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app

After shared the app, users could access the app in browsers via the share-link in the emails sent to them or you copied from Power Apps Portal (make.powerapps.com) and sent to them. If the user have a power apps license, which is necessary for running an app, he will be able to go to Power Apps Portal and see all the apps that shared with and created by him. In power apps mobile app, users could see all the apps as they would when going to Power Apps Portal.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

View solution in original post

Thank you so much as that helps a lot!  I also see that I can get the link if I go to make.powerapps.com, click on the ellipses next to the app and choose details.  Much appreciated!

Best,

Christine

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,463)