cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sharepoint list needs to be moved will powerapp connection break?

Hi everyone, I created a powerapps application which is linked to a custom SharePoint list on a development share point site. I assume the powerapp and my flow connections will break if I want to move the custom SharePoint list to a separate production SharePoint site. Is there any way of quickly re-linking the powerapp data connections and as well as flow without rebuilding the powerapp from the ground up? Thanks in advance!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Re: Sharepoint list needs to be moved will powerapp connection break?

Dealing with moving from dev to prod environements is not a strength of PowerApps, though you won't need to rebuild everything. Simple remove the data connection and then re-add it for the new location. After deleting the data connection, everything on the screen will have error messages, but all the errors should go away once the new data connection is put in (assuming the new data connection points to a list with the same name, and assuming it has exactly the same set of fields, etc.)

Optionally, export both the power app and flows, and then re-import them to create copies, so you can still have your dev copy and also a prod copy.

Optionally, configure the prod copy to use a different set of credentials for data connections, so they're not tied to your account.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Dealing with moving from dev to prod environements is not a strength of PowerApps, though you won't need to rebuild everything. Simple remove the data connection and then re-add it for the new location. After deleting the data connection, everything on the screen will have error messages, but all the errors should go away once the new data connection is put in (assuming the new data connection points to a list with the same name, and assuming it has exactly the same set of fields, etc.)

Optionally, export both the power app and flows, and then re-import them to create copies, so you can still have your dev copy and also a prod copy.

Optionally, configure the prod copy to use a different set of credentials for data connections, so they're not tied to your account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your prompt answer but I just wanted to ask a bit more.

When I re-add the connection, will all my datacards (which have formulas in them already) disappear or will they kinda "sync up" if they have the same column name as the original data cards? I know in microsoft flow, as soon as I change the list name, the connection block in flow "resets" so to speak and a lot of formulas disappear when that happens.

Thanks!

Kenny

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

It is nerve-racking to do this the first time, so by all means try this out on a test application first. But when you delete the data connection, the cards stay in place. Any custom formulas, settings, configuraitons, etc., all stay in place.  The cards will all show errors due to the fields not existing, but again, those errors will simply go away once the new data connection is in place. (again, assuming that the new data connection has the same names, data types, etc.)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks Mike just one last bit about this. Would you happen to know if it's also do-able for Microsoft flow as well? Kenny
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yeah, these tools really weren't designed with typical IT needs in mind. They're end user tools, and so don't play well with stage environments, not to mention version control, etc. If you have an "update list item" action in flow and change the list, any of your field settings vanish, and you'll have to reset them.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I guess I'll have to do that then thanks so much Mike for your answers! Kenny

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Super Users Coming in August

We are excited for the next Super User season.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,203)