cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IngoTSV
Regular Visitor

Sharepoint-multiselect Column in PowerApp not shown

Hi there,

I have a simple sharepoint list, which has the Contact Column (for a name) and a multiselect choice column for Hobbies. So you can enter a name and one or multiple given hobbies for this name. I now want to build an App, where I can enter a hobbie and find all the names, that have this hobbie.

With a combobox I can select one or more hobbies with "Choices('contacts'.'hobbies')" and in a dropdown I can filter for the sorted result with "Sort(ComboHobbies.SelectedItems.Value;Value)", but I always fail when trying to show the name based on that selection anywhere. Can you help me out? I am pretty new to PowerApps and watched 10h of videos, but somehow does not help. 😞

Cheers

Ingo

7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

In your app you could have a dropdown that displays all the hobbies and the have a gallery that displays all the users that have the selected hobby.

example:

Dropdown > Items > Choices('contacts'.'hobbies')

Gallery > Items > Filter(Contacts, Dropdown.Selected.Value in Hobbies.Value)

You will get a delegation warning because "in" isn't a delegable operator in SharePoint. By default the non-delegation query limit is 500 but you can increase that 2000 by going into advance settings of the app. If the contact list has less items than the non-delegation query limit then you should be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
ajdhingr
Microsoft
Microsoft

@IngoTSV do you still have the issue ? Please let us know 

Hi Jeff,

formulars works including the delegation error, but there is no content in the gallery 😞

Let's assume, the list name is People, so I would put "Choices(People.hobbies)" in the dropdown (works fine) and "Filter(People;Dropdown.Selected.Value in People.Hobbies)" in the gallery, the text box should have a "thisitem.contact"?

Whatever I chose here, below the function it will state, I am using an area, which is not supported, the expected datatype would be text.

IngoTSV_0-1598247161913.png

Btw. I tried adding a new screen and a gallery. I connected the gallery with my sharepoint list, when I try to add a description box and connect it to the hobbies, this column is not shown (I guess, because it is a table and no text). So how do I make it visible anywhere at all?
I am getting more and more lost 😢

Cheers

Ingo

yes 😉

If contact is a person field then the label in your gallery item would look like this: 

ThisItem.Contact.DisplayName

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@IngoTSV - Do you still have this issue ?

Yes, I still have that problem, but I gave up and started learning the fundamentals, to understand what I am doing. So no help needed anymore.

I guess it is just, that I can not show multiselect sharepoint columns in a PowerApp dropdown field in an easy way.

Cheers

Ingo

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (66,300)