cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bfausti
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing Canvas Apps with a Dynamic Group

I am trying to share a canvas app with a dynamic group in Azure AD, but get the follwoing error message:

The request failed with error: '{"error":{"code":"0x80040203","message":"The group whose AzureActiveDirectoryObjectId = 8b2e08d8-d2cb-459d-8d1c-9132cc564d14 is not an AadGroup or OfficeGroup, the attribute GroupTypes are = DynamicMembership. "}}'. The tracking Id is '95c1c4df-76a2-4e35-b8ee-bbde5efd37a8'.

Is it not possible to share with dynamic groups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I've came across this post to find the answer of the same question, but then I realized I was able to share to a group. After digging more, sharing the app directly to a dynamic group is not possible but doing it indirectly is okay.
You will need to "encapsulate" your dynamic group as a member of an assigned group in Azure AD. This works perfectly fine in my case.

Hope this helps anyone looking for the same answer. 😉

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
poweractivate
Super User II
Super User II

@bfausti 

This specifically is not supported, we believe.

However in case someone else on this forum thinks this is possible or supported though, even if it is by workaround - please feel free to chime in. We do not know of any workaround for this specific requirement to use a DynamicMembership type group.

Thanks. Do we know if this will be supported in the future?
The issue is we need to automatically assign new guest users to a group which has access to specific canvas apps. Is this achievable another way automatically?

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@bfausti 

You will need to set the Group as a Security group, then you can set it in PowerApps.  

However, this is the case with ANY group in AD, if you convert to Security group (or I should say "add"), then you can use it.  But, I've not tested specifically for Dynamic Membership groups.

I'd try to convert to security group (you'll need to use PowerShell to do this) and see if that offers any help for Dynamic Member groups.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!

Thanks @RandyHayes, but this does not solve my issue of automatic group assignment of users. Is there another way to automatically assign users to a group when they are added to the AD? (Not using the bulk method).

RandyHayes
Super User III
Super User III

@bfausti 

I'm confused...I thought you were trying to share with a dynamic group and getting the error.

If you want to create a dynamic membership group, then yes, this is all possible in Azure AD.  You just need to convert the group to Dynamic Membership and then create a Rule to assign users.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too!
bfausti
Helper I
Helper I

So my end goal is to automatically assign users to groups when they get added to the AD and then share that group with my Canvas app @RandyHayes. I can achieve the first half but not the sharing of the dynamic group with canvas. I will try your suggestion of creating a dynamic membership group and see if that works. 

bfausti
Helper I
Helper I

Looks like sharing of canvas apps with dynamic groups (ie Groups with Membership Type = Dynamic User) is not supported. Can someone please confirm this is the case?

I've came across this post to find the answer of the same question, but then I realized I was able to share to a group. After digging more, sharing the app directly to a dynamic group is not possible but doing it indirectly is okay.
You will need to "encapsulate" your dynamic group as a member of an assigned group in Azure AD. This works perfectly fine in my case.

Hope this helps anyone looking for the same answer. 😉

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (26,109)