Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbrit2020
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Sharing Powerapps Mobile App with external users

Hello there.

Trying to share a Phone Layout PowerApp with an external Guest user. This works well when the user is launching the app on his browser, but when he installs PowerApps app on his android phone and logs into his account, he can't see my app.

Is this a limitation? Shouldn't the user be able to see apps shared with him?

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

As far as I know that is a known limitation of the Power App app.  Its only looking at the Tenant you are logging into for Apps.  To use it as an external user you'll need to launch it from a URL.   I don't have android for testing, but once I run it from the URL it does show up in Recent apps in the app on IOS.  But you have to run it once and then exit the app.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
jbrit2020
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

That was my initial thought. Lets get the guest to try to connect to the app by using only the URL on Android Chrome, but when the user inserts URL and signs in, he gets an error saying "Certificate Error" which made me think Microsoft forces the access through PowerApps App.

He should be able to access the app using the URL.  Can he access the app on a PC?  It could be something wrong with the way his guest account is configured.

jbrit2020
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Yes he can access using the URL on his laptop. It's on the mobile phone he's experiencing the issues.

Just found this on the following Microsoft page but not entirely sure I understand the steps referred:

Share App With Guests 

In Power Apps Mobile, how does a guest see apps for their home tenant?

Any user who has used their mobile device to access a canvas app that was published in an Azure AD tenant that isn't their home tenant, must sign out of Power Apps and sign back in to Power Apps Mobile.

In Power Apps Mobile, how does a guest see apps in the guest tenant?

The guest user opens the email they received when an app in the guest tenant was shared, and selects Open the app. This applies to both Azure AD and Microsoft account users.

Its the second bold text that I was suggesting.  After opening it from the email the first time it will show in the Power Apps app under Recent.  After that you should be able to favorite it to keep it.  Since I have multiple tenants I did log out of my regular tenant and into the tenant where the guest resides before clicking on the URL.  That logout/login after sharing may be some kind of requirement.

jbrit2020
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Understood now. Was under the impression you meant using the URL on browser. Will test it today with end user.

jbrit2020
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Pstork1 Tested with the user, and we got a slightly more positive result.

Powerapps is trying to switch domains in order to open the my app, but we get an access error related to security. If I ask the Guest user to open the app on their work laptop, they can access it without any issues, but through the phone throws this problem.

I take it is related to security policies on our side?

Have you seen this behavior before?

I haven't seen that issue before, but I agree it doesn't like something about your security setup.  Do you require anything special for guest users in either Azure AD or SharePoint?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,755)