Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mart11
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing a Power App without Sharing the Sharepoint List

Hi everyone! 

I have a canvas application that I would like to share with a select number of users in my organization. The application makes use of 5 microsoft lists that are within a sharepoint site. I do not want these users to have access to this site's content, meaning, that I do not want them to access this list, view it, and change its content. However, I am aware that to use the power app, these users would need to have access to these sharepoint lists. 

Is there a work around for this please? I read that flows can be used, but I did not see any instructions on how this may be configured. 

If it is not possible, is the only solution to just create a group with permissions, add the users to the group, and share the app with this group? 

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @mart11 ,

Create a Custom Permission Level in SharePoint based on Contribute, but uncheck View Applicaiton Pages and the user will not be able to navigate to any SharePoint page

WarrenBelz_0-1647861942873.png

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Visit my blog Practical Power Apps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @mart11 ,

Create a Custom Permission Level in SharePoint based on Contribute, but uncheck View Applicaiton Pages and the user will not be able to navigate to any SharePoint page

WarrenBelz_0-1647861942873.png

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

From where is this page accessible please? 

So with this, the user will be able to use the sharepoint lists in the app only

Hi @mart11 ,

Yes - you need to go to Site Permissions at the "base level" SharePoint site - then Advanced Site Permissions. then Permission Levels and Add a Permission Level

WarrenBelz_0-1659958884842.png

hi @WarrenBelz , I've created the above site permission and granted to a user, but the user was not able to save the data into the list using the PowerApp based on the list. Did try to also add the user as a member to the site, then he was able to save but also able to view the list and it's content (which I wanted to avoid this is why created the above permission). So I suppose the user should not be a member, but then why was not able to save into the list with the above role only? Any ideas pls? Thanks!

Hi @avassy ,

What permission did you give him ? It should be everything in Contribute except View Application Pages. You then of course need to grant permission to the Site to that group

Thanks, yes I did miss one, now it is working, thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,870)