cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sharepointguy
Level: Powered On

Sharing a connection for use

I have modified a SharePoint list form with PowerApps and am using 2 more data sources in the form. One is a Azure SQL connection with SQL Auth and another is a custom connector. Per this doc (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-resources), SQL connections and custom connectors are implicitly shared and the user just need to Allow permissions for SQL and Create conenction for Custom Connectors.

However for me, the users with whom I have shared the list, are receiving "This app needs access to this connection. Ask for access" error for SQL and "The caller with object id '<<user object id>>' does not have permission to custom connector '<<custom connector id>>'.

My users have Office 365 E3 licenses already assigned to them. If I explicitly share the connections with them, they can access the list forms. Any pointers on why this behavior?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Sharing a connection for use

Hi @sharepointguy ,

Firsly, when you share your app connected with SQL and custom connector with others, the connection will automatically be shared too.

However, user not only need to have permission to these connector, but also must create their own connections to it.

Here's a doc about it for your reference:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/share-app-resources

You coule check whether you connection is shared automatically here:

On powerapps.com, you can determine whether a connection will be shared automatically, and you can update sharing permissions. In the left navigation bar, click or tap Manage, click or tap Connections, and then click or tap a connection. If the Share tab appears, the connection will be shared automatically.

Please note that:

If you share one or more connections manually, you might need to reshare them under these circumstances:

• You add an on-premises data gateway to an app that you’ve already shared.
  • You change the set of people or groups with whom you’ve shared an app that has an on-premises data gateway.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
sharepointguy
Level: Powered On

Re: Sharing a connection for use

Hi @v-yutliu-msft ,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that SQL connection are implicitly shared. I can see that from the connections page where-in I can see the share link. However, not sure why in my case, the connection is not getting shared automatically. I have to manually share the connection with my Org. Could it be because of some licensing issue? 

My users have Office 365 E3 (PowerApps for Office 365 and Flow for Office 365) license but I have not explicitly given them "PowerApps and Logic Flows" and "Microsoft PowerApps Plan 2 Trial" license.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,137)